C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kbd targa or monza mufflers ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:44 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kbd targa or monza mufflers ?

has anyone tried the kbd targa mufflers on page 76 of ecklers magazine or the monzas on page 123 of mid-america? both of these are said to be free-flow mufflers..will these be extremely noisy compared to a stock muffler..will it increase HP enough to make it worth the swap? both pairs go for $129..i have a test pipe to replace my cat converter which i will do over the weekend..the next step would be to either get one of these free-flows or does anyone have a better sugestion? i would like to increase the HP in my 350 the least expensive way possible..thanx all :cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 05:00 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (1980 razz)

I too would be interested in responses to this thread as I am looking at mufflers for a true duall setup
Old 02-19-2002, 05:28 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (fauxrs)

I have the monza corvette muflers....Love em...will try to take pics but here is a pic of them from a catalog.

Old 02-19-2002, 05:32 PM
79er
Racer

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (ylose)

I have the KBD Targa mufflers on my 79. I love the KBD's they are very loud in my app. due to true dual and headers. As for the monza's? I don't know I have not heard or seen them installed on a vette yet.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:12 PM
compuvette
Racer

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (79er)

I have some targa's on my '84. They sounded good with the cat still on. After "the cat fell off" it was really loud! The thing sounds like a pro-stocker! I have a set of flowmaster 50's going on now. I went with 2.25" duals without a crossover. Not a whole lot of room under there for a crossover pipe. I noticed a big difference in performance with "losing" the cat.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (ylose)

Can you give an idea of how much louder they are than stock GM?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:32 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

I had a set of the KBD's (still have them actually) on my 81 for about 6 months before I installed the headers/sidepipes. I was still running the stock exhaust system including the cat, they gave the car a nice deep tone but were not excessively loud. The response felt much better but as far as a big HP gain I couldn't say that for sure. For $129 you can't beat them, and if you had true duals they would really sound nice.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:15 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (C3 Shark Tank)

if any of u still have a set of these mufflers and have no use for them please let me know i will make great use of them..let me know how much u would like for them..thanx mark
Old 02-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

I put the KBD Targas on my 81 with the stock exhaust manifolds and cat and didn't notice to much of a change, I also had to use a hacksaw on my rear y-pipe to get them to line up straight.

[Modified by Ben Taylor, 7:40 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 11:21 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (Ben Taylor)

id love to see a pic of these on a vette if anyone could post one..thanx again. :cheers:
Old 02-20-2002, 12:58 AM
eeeticket
Advanced

I have the Monza glasspacks, with stock manifolds and a full flow cat. I don't know about HP increase but they sure sound good. After a few years of daily driving and the fiberglass burns out a little, they sound great; plus the four pipes sticking out the back look really cool. :cool :cool:
Old 02-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Tominator
Drifting

They look like good mufflers, however I run the Super Turbos I think there made by dynomax (unsure of spelling). Here's what I know about them;

1) lifetime warranty
2) have kind of 50-60 muscle car sound to them
3) not that expensive
4) don't rob any horse power; the shop that installed them ran a test on them with a couple of drag cars, they ran with out mufflers just a straight pipe and then ran with the super turbos and the time were the same.

Plus they weren't running low hp cars ethier I think the one was is rated at just under 600 hp. :eek:
Old 02-20-2002, 04:30 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the Monza's as shown in Mid America on my 82. Great sound, throaty but a little loud for my taste. Definately gets people's attention. Have to crank the stereo though. :cool:
Old 02-25-2002, 12:27 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Here's some pictures of the KBD Targas from Ecklers, they are usually a bit more shinny, but I forgot to clean the car before I took the pictures.

Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (Ben Taylor)

Here's some pictures of the KBD Targas from Ecklers, they are usually a bit more shinny, but I forgot to clean the car before I took the pictures.

Mine are almost the same thing. Just exhaust tips, no mufflers.

In town the noise level is higher than normal, and maybe higher than many would like. It is not too high for me, and other people who are into performance cars like the sound.

Now, if I were to want to drive the car on the interstate with the tops on and the windows up for more than about 30 miles, I would want to change them. The reverberation in the back of '78+ Corvettes is as good as a concert hall. Great if it's music -- nasty if it is loud exhuast.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:30 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (BSeery)

I've got a pair on the end of 2 1/2" duals with no cat. They are the ones from Mid America & look like the ones above, except that they don't kick up.
I'd say DO IT!!! They sound great. Normal around town cruising & idle is OK as far as noise goes (sounds good), but they really bellow at WOT :D
I did a 300 mile round trip cruising at about 3000 - 3500 rpm & didn't think that they were excessively loud (but I've been riding an unsilenced 750 Bonnie with an open face helmet & listening to loud music for 20 years, so maybe my hearing ain't so good ;) ). The real test for loudness is what the local Police think about them: they don't seem bothered by them - some even smile as I burble past!
:cheers:
Old 02-25-2002, 10:44 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: kbd targa or monza mufflers ? (UKPaul)

I have the whole muffler/can Monza type on mine. Got them from Mid-America. I think I paid 199.00 for the set. Yes, they sound real throaty. When going by parked cars they sometime set off their alarms :D Must be the pitch or tone. They are definatly not loud. I also took a pic for ya. Good Luck, L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To kbd targa or monza mufflers ?

Quick Reply: kbd targa or monza mufflers ?