C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped it off

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:10 PM
adam
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Snapped it off

Wouldn't you know it...

I'm trying to fix an exhaust leak on the right side. Remove the
nuts on the exhaust manifold studs and snap off one - oh no!

Now the right side is fine and the left side is worse.
There's no way to remove and replace the broken stud on the manifold
and put another in it's place, is there?

Man is that loud for such a little missing thing.

Old 02-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Snapped it off (adam)

I found that it works best to just drill out the out stud and retap it. There is plenty of room to work under there. Center punch a mark in the center of the old stud and drill it out with a 5/16 drill bit. Then retap it with a 3/8-16 tap.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:29 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Sorry to hear this Adam, but at least "I" feel better cause I'm not alone after I broke 3 of em last weekend!! :conehead Rather than aggravate myself further.. I pulled the manifolds...then broke two of those bolts. :conehead :conehead And it all started with just wanting to change a rear main seal and oil pan gasket! My whole exhaust manifold system is one ball of rust.. Soaking/heating/cussing/praying did nothing for me. If you have only one broke...and there is enough left to "grab", you could try soaking it, then heating it...maybe soaking again while it's hot. Studs install from the bottom up, so maybe you have a chance. Use anti-seize on stainless studs for the new!! Good Luck :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 02-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Snapped it off (Silvr77)

Adam, if there is enough stud showing you can weld a nut on to it and try that. If not it's drill away.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Snapped it off (Budman78)

Adam Do not use an easy out. To many horror stories on those things. I would soak it for a few days with some Blaster spray. Then drill it out and tap it as Pete said. Careful not to break the tap. Try to get a gun tap it has only two flutes and is less likly to break than a four flute tap. Chuck
Old 02-19-2002, 06:46 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Snapped it off (chucks)

Adam Do not use an easy out. To many horror stories on those things. I would soak it for a few days with some Blaster spray. Then drill it out and tap it as Pete said. Careful not to break the tap. Try to get a gun tap it has only two flutes and is less likly to break than a four flute tap. Chuck
VERY TRUE !!! -- Every "easy out" I have used or seen used became part of the car, because they "easy break and stay" is all they do.

A: remove the manifold from the car and take the manifold to a GOOD local exhaust shop. They deal with this EVERY day.

B: Leave it on the car and take the entire works to a local exhaust shop. They will charge more, but in the long run it is still a good option.

I have found these studs in the "Help" section of the local parts store. You know that section full of parts like window cranks, *****, pins and parts in red packages. They make the studs, but you may have to order them if your local store does not have them on display.

Another alternative (and it sucked) was to use some high quality "all thread" and cut to length and make your own stud. Did this BEFORE I found the pre-made pieces at the parts store in the Help section :mad :rolleyes: -- live and learn.

Good luck !!
Old 02-19-2002, 06:48 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Snapped it off (BSeery)

P.S. -- I broke 5 of the 6 when I did my engine swap -- don't feel bad.

It's just a C3 right of passage that proves your worth.

Kind of like working with the rear bearings, a broken rear end housing or the heater core replacement of death......

Think of living through each of these as a badge of honor.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:13 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um... how hard is it to drill a larger hole than it has, slide in a stainless bolt and nut, and be done with it... and i think never have to deal with it again.

Dunno how electroleisis that goes on between stainless and cast, but it might be worth a shot

Get notified of new replies

To Snapped it off

Quick Reply: Snapped it off