C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP- Selling my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Stephanie's Bad 79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- Selling my car

I need to sell my pristine 79 shark. It has over $10k in custom paint, graphics and interior. All components are new but the engine - only 65k original DOCUMENTED miles! Runs perfect - it's my daily driver. Seen in Corvette Fever and winner of the 2000 and 2001 Best Street Driven Corvette award. Too many upgrades to list, but here are some: Eclipse CD, Alpines, Bilsteins, TAs (255) limo tint rear window, power everything, new AC conversion, Python alarm and remote door locks, custom cover, motor and tranny mounts, altenator, starter, fan clutch, new belts, etc. I am asking $18k or best, and thinking about the Auto Trader. Any other ideas? I have to get a daily driver. :sad:
Email me with ideas - stephmoe@pacbell.net
Thanks everybody.

[Modified by Stephanie's Bad 79, 11:12 AM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 03:15 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (Stephanie's Bad 79)

Steph,

Sorry to hear that. I don't want to be brash, but $18K is very high for a 1979, regardless of mileage, condition, etc. I've seen some very nice low mileage 1979's at Carlisle in the $9-12K range
Old 02-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

You might want to change your wording!

"Runs perfect - it's my daily driver." Then you last sentence is. "I have to get a daily driver. "

Even when I was down on my luck all I ever did was store it. Because I knew that I couldn't buy another one as nice in the future.

It's tough to get 50 cents on the dollar from what you put into cars

[Modified by Lt1er, 3:05 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 05:20 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (Lt1er)

these guys are right...without a HP engine...it will be hard to get all your money from just the paint and interior...as I look over your description...
it looks like the paint and accessories are driving up your asking price...not that its not worth it or anything...it sounds awesome....but as it was noted 50 cents on the dollar and then some.... with this economy still on its all-time low.....money isnt being spent like it was 4 years ago. Paint makes em look nice...but getting the paint job costs back are very hard to achieve. Good luck.... :cheers:

btw- you live in California.....why can't this be your daily driver?
sounds too good to sell....If i lived where my gramps is, Dana Point, CA....I would have 3 vettes.....hers, mine for everyday of the week and the third for driving on Sundays...unfortunately he owns a 2002 beetle and a suburban....go figure ! :seeya

[Modified by ylose, 3:25 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 05:33 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Stephanie there is a Corvette Trader. You may have better luck advertizing there. I hate that you have to sell your car. I lost my butt to the ins. comp. on my 78 so I know how you feel. I hope you can keep the Vette and still get a daily driver. :conehead
Old 02-19-2002, 07:18 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (A78Corvette)

sorry to hear your selling her... i loved reading a few months ago about all the work that went into it :(
Old 02-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Stephanie's Bad 79
Racer

I know 18k is high, but everything on this car is new except the engine - it DOES run perfectly and IS my daily driver. I appreciate all the comments, and am cognizant that it might take time to sell it, but I assure you, after my 20 years in advertising, it will sell! A lot of people want a car they can drive and show, but not have to sink any money into - this car is ready to show (it wins all the time) and runs like a champ. I just need a truck or SUV, and need a down payment - I don't have the option of storing it and buying anything else without the money from selling. Thanks for the Corvette Trader idea - I'll look into it. Does anybody know if you can just go to the Auto Trader site for that publication?
I am also flexible on the price - just didn't want to lose my shirt right off the bat. :sad:
Old 02-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Stephanie,
I do hope things work out for you! Loved corresponding with you over the last two years. The economy will be on track soon and you will be back in the Vette seats soon :) .

Paul
Old 02-19-2002, 09:38 PM
Stephanie's Bad 79
Racer

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (paul79)

Thanks, Paul, I've enjoyed it too! It breaks my heart to sell her, but if I could store her and afford something else, I'd do that. But it just isn't an option now. If I get the job with the City of SD (prayers, please!) I could afford to buy something new - with any payment. So, maybe that will happen....but I had to get a job selling Acuras (never sold cars before, what a grind) and with no salary, can't qualify for a loan. Anybody need a nice Acura? :)

Anyway, what do you guys think about eBay? I just don't want to see a bunch of nasty remarks posted on the forum about my car! :nono:
Old 02-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Good luck. List it as a rare 79 pace car on ebay. That works better.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:16 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (Budman78)

i dont think you will hear anything nasty about your car if you do put it up on ebay...

Your a local... on a serious note, your car is quite a stopper :yesnod:
Old 02-19-2002, 11:48 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Stephanie check out http://www.Corvettetrader.com Keep all your receipts for parts and work, get some good pictures of your car to post. Corvette Trader is also sold like the auto trader. Hope this helps. :conehead
Old 02-20-2002, 03:29 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]I need to sell my pristine 79 shark. It has over $10k in custom paint, graphics and interior. All components are new but the engine - only 65k original DOCUMENTED miles! Runs perfect - it's my daily driver. Seen in Corvette Fever and winner of the 2000 and 2001 Best Street Driven Corvette award. Too many upgrades to list, but here are some: Eclipse CD, Alpines, Bilsteins, TAs (255) limo tint rear window, power everything, new AC conversion, Python alarm and remote door locks, custom cover, motor and tranny mounts, altenator, starter, fan clutch, new belts, etc. I am asking $18k or best, and thinking about the Auto Trader. Any other ideas? I have to get a daily driver. :sad:
QUOTE]

Stephanie, so sorry to hear that you have to sell your car.. :cry although I cant image any case where someone has to have an SUV :U ....but thats just me.. I'm sure you know what is required for your particular needs.

At least now my car has a fighting chance at club events :lol:

Wish I could buy it from you, its beautiful.

Take care

Eric
Old 02-20-2002, 03:46 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (fauxrs)

Sorry to hear that Stephanie,

Just take your time and make sure the car gets the right owner and you get the right price.... The longer it takes to sell, the more chance you have to drive it... and possibility of keeping it.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

A lot of people want a car they can drive and show, but not have to sink any money into - this car is ready to show (it wins all the time) and runs like a champ. I just need a truck or SUV, and need a down payment
Why sell it? You already have an SUV-"Stephanie's Underrated Vette" :lol:

Sounds like a great car, been following your posts for a good while, but with the economy as others have stated, this probably is'nt at all a good time to sell a "toy". Seems as though with the job losses, layoffs, ENRON, etc., the last item average people buy is a sports car unless you have Jay Leno's or Nicholas Cage's money. I have seen some very nice cars around here(a local '79 for $6,600)that right now if they do sell it's because people are almost giving them away. It could end up here from ebay by a "new" forum user. We'd know your car anyways!!! It'll just take the right person at the right time that'll appreciate your car and may want to buy it. Good luck, don't be a stranger even if you do sell it. :yesnod:
Old 02-21-2002, 07:54 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: HELP- Selling my car (Paul Borowski)

if you're going to sell Acuras,then hustle a few of them off the lot,make'm give you a demo to drive,and keep the Vette. i hope you can get what you want & need out of your vette. but realistically speaking,i bought mine for $9000, have put about $6000 in it and probably would struggle to get $12k out of it. that doesn't bother me as i don't plan on selling it ever,and never looked at it as an investment.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:07 AM
topless68
Melting Slicks

I am asking $18k or best,
$18k for a '79? :eek: :eek:

If you find someone that'll pay 18 grand for a '79, tell them I have a '68 vert BB with the body off that's worth $35k. It's a steal!! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To HELP- Selling my car

Quick Reply: HELP- Selling my car