C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Motor Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starter Motor Gasket

While bench cleaning the oil and gooy stuff off my starter, pieces of a brownish fiber gasket/insulator looking material started falling out of the unit. I looked inside and could see all the wire windings of the motor. I haven't taken it apart, nor do I need to cause it works fine! Does this donut gasket/insulator seal the motor from the gear and shaft? Will it be OK to re-install starter without this seal?? :confused: :confused:
Old 02-19-2002, 05:32 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Starter Motor Gasket (Silvr77)

I by no means am good with advice...but would this keep heat out ?
you know...from when people cant restart their vettes due to the heat of the engine and running for a while. Then when your engine cools the starter functions again....never happened to me....but I have read a lot of members experiencing this.

do you have a regular starter or mini-starter by the way? i heard mini's eliminate this dilemna.

as you know i am very qualified for
Old 02-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I justed removed my starter for the same reason. A good cleaning. Never saw any type of gasket material, but I would leave well enough alone. My starter looks like it is of the WW2 era its so old. I cleaned it, painted it and mounted it with a new solenoid. Worked just fine, and I can't imagine yours is in any worse shape. I also went to the local parts shop and got a heat shield for about $3.00. Painted it too and the whole assembly looks great. Now if I can just keep the oil leaks off it.

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Starter Motor Gasket (ylose)

The starter is the factory original. This gasket material (from what I could conclude) was a circular donut shape in the same diameter as the motor case, and stiff like insulator fiber. Many little dried up brittle pieces came out :confused: :confused: I thought it would be a winding insulator/gasket to keep oil and dirt out of the motor windings. If noone knows what exactly this stuff is... F*** it.. I'll throw it back in and hope for the best.
Thanks for your responses guys...
AHHEMM... Uhh, Ylose... their ain't no snow on my roof..cause there is way too hot a fire down stairs!! :jester :jester :jester
Old 02-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Starter Motor Gasket (Jim73)

. Painted it too and the whole assembly looks great. Regards, Jim
BTW Jim, what color scheme did you use... Black body..silvr front?? You gave me the incentive to paint mine... thanks!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 06:15 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've replaced a lot of chevy starters over my lifespan and I have never seen any type of gasket on one. Sounds like insulator materiel off your magnets or windings on the inside. I suppose you could just put it back in and use it 'til it fails but if it was me, I would change it. Starters are fairly cheap ya know, plus you don't got to paint a new one. :yesnod:
Old 02-19-2002, 06:26 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Silver on some of the older style starter motors that had a sheet metal dust cover over the openings near the brushes,, a gasket was used between the case and the dust cover .

G
Old 02-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I painted the starter red to match my body color. I also have already painted some of my engine bay red. I painted the new solenoid red also and the heat shield black. I also changed to external hardware to stainless steel although the oil leak keeps anything from rusting!

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-20-2002, 02:56 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

AHHEMM... Uhh, Ylose... their ain't no snow on my roof..cause there is way too hot a fire down stairs!! :jester :jester :jester
lol....omg....TOO MUCH INFO ........but very good response none the less.
we definately gotta get together in spring.
:D :seeya

----note to self...silvr77 doesnt forget a post..even when server is down for over night! :jester

[Modified by ylose, 12:58 PM 2/20/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Starter Motor Gasket (ylose)

[QUOTE] we definately gotta get together in spring.[QUOTE] OH YEAH!!!

-note to self...silvr77 doesnt forget a posT
Nope!........ But if I can only remember where I put that darn idler arm mounting bolt, and those pesky stove pipe hex... oh crap. Gotta sweep the floor and sift through the dirt :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Motor Gasket

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Gasket