C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Block fouling plugs.:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Big Block fouling plugs.:(

My 75 has a 454 from a 74 Suburban in it. I am running an Edelbrock cam, Torker II intake, and Performer carb as well as a stock 75 HEI distributor. I am running Hooker SC's and 2 1/2 true duals. At idle, the car loads up and the plugs are wet. The carb is right out of the box and has never been jetted. I am running R44TX plugs, is this causing me a problem or do I need to re-jet?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:10 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Big Block fouling plugs.:( (Fastguy)

Sounds like timing or carb; is it the AFB style carb? what CFM is the carb? did you try setting carb mixture with a vacuum gauge? The correct mixture adjustments will show the most vacuum. Are you using manifold or ported vacuum? If ported, try manifold (direct) vacuum. I run 12-14 degrees initial advance, and use manifold vacuum for the advance mechanism. The plugs range seems plenty hot enough.
:chevy :chevy
Old 02-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Big Block fouling plugs.:( (MassVette)

I checked and re-checked my timing and tried ported and manifold vacuum. I am wondering if I am having a float issue. The carb sat for a while and there is an excelent chance that the the gas dried up and left a residue that is affecting the needle and seat.

It IS the AFB style which makes it a PITA to check float height unlike a Holley.

[Modified by Fastguy, 12:19 PM 2/20/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 04:27 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Big Block fouling plugs.:( (Fastguy)

These carbs can occasionaly have problems with the plastic shaft accelerator pumps, along with stuck needles and seats. When you remove the top, be careful not to lift too quickly. I broke the gasket in one of mine by being careless.
How long did the carb sit around? These are usually VERY good carbs. Maybe a rebuild kit would help...??

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block fouling plugs.:(

Quick Reply: Big Block fouling plugs.:(