C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fuel Pump Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 12:05 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Electric Fuel Pump Question?

I have a Holley electric fuel pump that is supposed to used with a Holley fuel injection system. I'd like to use it and do away with my mechanical fuel pump. I need to replace the mechanical pump anyway, and since I already have the Holley and a block off plate, and the old fuel return line, what else do I need (besides a relay and a 12v power)?
Do I need a fuel pressure regulator? The Holley pump is supposed to put out about 18-20 psig.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:10 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fuel Pump Question? (Smokehouse69)

A pressure regulator
A filter before the pump

A good safe place to mount the pump.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fuel Pump Question? (Smokehouse69)

Oil pressure switch- there was a recent topic on this. Reg. for pressure- Yes, you need !
Old 02-19-2002, 12:26 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Electric Fuel Pump Question? (Ganey)

Im in the middle of installing mine as well....its the Holley Black series, which is good for some 14 psi or something like that. Im not done yet cause im taking my lazy azz time since i havent used the car much and not in a huury just yet, but here is what you need.
Definitely get the oil pressure safetty switch. It goes inline with your oil pressure sending switch if its electric, or you can use the outlet on the top of the block right behind the distributor to the drivers side slightly. This switch will only allow you to start the car when there is ~7psi oil pressure (i think its 7, could be higher) and when you are starting the car.
I also got a Painless fuel pump relay kit, which i would definitely recommend. Makes the wiring a lot easier.
Someone pointed out to me to watch where its moutned for debris, or if a u-joint or anything else fails to see if it will hit it, or any fuel lines. While your back there mounting the pump, add new rubber hoses wherever they are used for safety since youll be putting out a lot more pressure now.
You will defintely need a regulator for 18-20psi. Holley has quite few nice ones for not too much money, but there are some other companies that have quality pieces and youll be paying for the quality.

The only other thing that i have yet to figure out, is someone said something about using an orphis somewhere in the return line to keep the pressure up going to the carb. Does anyone know anything about this??
Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fuel Pump Question?

Quick Reply: Electric Fuel Pump Question?