C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade

Old 02-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suspension Upgrade

I went to Guldstrand Motorsports to have them perform an inspection today. They said that the car was in remarkably good condition, for a 30+ yr old car, but it could use some repairs/upgrades. Here's a list of the stuff:

Front springs (550 lb.)
Polyurethane front control arm bushings
Lower ball joints
Front sway bar, 1” w/ brackets
Front sway bar poly bushings and endlinks
Bump-steer kit
HD Tie rod sleeves
Rear spring (7-leaf)
Long rear spring bolts
Polyurethane rear bushings
Shocks, Bilstein (front and rear)
Front wheel bearings (front and rear bearings weren't shot, but figured "what the hell")
Rear wheel bearings
Camber rod kit (w/heim joints)
Locator Kit (Aluminum discs for rear crossmember)
U-joints
Steering box rebuild (obviously worn)
Front spreader bar

I've already ordered the parts, and I'm hoping to take the car in on 3/2/02. Dick Guldstrand himself performed the inspection......he's a really nice guy! He asked me twice about the car's mileage, because the car was in such good condition underneath. I asked about a rear sway bar, but they said it really wasn't necessary, plus I could always add one later. They're also going to bleed the brakes, and repair/adjust the parking brake. I can't wait to get the car fixed up!!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:08 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (Mark70)

What is he going to charge you for all the work??

Did he let you buy the parts somewhere on your own, or did he order them?

Sounds like the car is going to be pretty tight after all that. Keep us informed.
:)
Old 02-19-2002, 12:23 AM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (phoenix)

All of the parts come out of the Guldstrand catalog. You can order one at www.guldstrand.com. The parts aren't cheap, but they are excellent quality. For instance, the heim joints on the camber rod kit don't have zerk fittings, but are teflon lined. They estimate 14 hours of work for the installation. I would tackle it myself, but I just don't have the time right now. I had the suspension "aligned" by a local shop, and now the handling is a little scary. I figured that now was the time for the upgrades and a proper alignment.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:08 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm nowhere near Dick G's league, but IMHO, softer springs and a bit larger bars are better for the street.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:40 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (flynhi)

ditto here, don't want to sound too stupid but i'd think 460# springs and a 1-1/8" front bar may be better. let us know how the car rides and handles when you get it back. i may end up with some 460# springs and a 1-1/8" bar for sale! :)
Old 02-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (flynhi)

I'm trying to create a dual purpose car, that I can use as a daily driver, plus run the occassional autocross or track day. I asked Dick if he thought the ride would be too harsh, but he assured me that I would be happy with the setup. But now you've got me thinking about the spring rates. I think I'll call him up today, and ask about the 460 lb springs with the bigger bars to get his opinion. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:22 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 550s will be fine. I think the rear spring makes the bigger difference and the one you have selected sounds pretty decent. And you have some high quality shocks - I'll think you'll be pleased.
good luck!
-terry
Old 02-19-2002, 03:36 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Nice to hear ya back on the forum Mark. Where's that pic of your '70?
It's one of the nicest around.

If you can't do the repairs yourself, Guildstrand is a good second choice! :lol: Glad to hear you're getting it done.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:02 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (1970 Stingray)

Mark,

I've got all the rear suspension stuff on mine, I love it. Dick is a great guy. I thought that the ride might be too harsh but it really isn't bad, in fact I drove 13 1/2 hours to the museum in Bowling Green with Brutus and the car really performed well. The best way I can describe the ride is that it's firm like you might expect in a street rod but not harsh to the point of jarring out your fillings, corners great, and is even fairly comfortable on long drives. I did all the work myself and it wasn't a bad job. I think you'll really be please with the final result.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:28 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (C3 Shark Tank)

I have 550 front springs (F-41) and the 7 leaf rear with bilstein shocks, 1-1/8 front bar and 7/16 rear bar (soon to be 9/16 and I don't think it is rough and rides great. Have not autocrossed it as yet. Good luck. :cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 11:16 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Mark70,
The perfect set-up !! I agree 110% !!
...redvetracr
Old 02-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (redvetracr)

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback and support!! I think I'm going to stay with the 550 front coils, and the 1" sway bar. I want a ride like TerryRudy, C3 Shark Tank, and LT1driver describe....firm and controlled without being harsh. I figure Dick knows his stuff, plus he is very interested in making sure his customers are satisfied. I was trying to decide between a VB kit, and Guldstrand, but after talking with other satisfied Guldstrand customers around here, the choice was easy.

Hey Len! I've been lurking here lately.....just too busy to participate much. I've completed a couple tasks on my "to do" list recently....I replaced the rear compartment doors and trays (DeWitts), and had a new convertible top installed (Al Knoch). The top was an adventure, too long to describe here, but Al (a really great guy) helped out the installer, and all is well. I also have a pair of Corbeau A4 seats and rails on order. When I get them installed I'll try to post some pictures. I also got my L88 hood pulling cold air into the carb now. I was using Photopoint to pictures of my car, but now I have a CorvetteForum page. I need to get some new pics, and size them for the dialup members.

Redvetracr.....I have to say your car is just incredible. It looks like a DeLorenzo Owens-Corning racer....always one of my favorites!!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds great Mark. I'd like to hear how the installations goes & see how those seats install before I have mine redone in leather. I might like yours better.

That cold air to the carb should ad a couple HP at highway speeds!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:23 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Guldstrand is "the man" for Vette suspension..

:cool: :cheers: :cool:
Old 02-20-2002, 04:29 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I installed the 7 leaf rear with a 5/8" sway and 460 front with a 1 1/8" sway. Drives great, hugs the road and has a good solid sporty ride. I did go back an put rubber bushings in place of the poly at the spring mounts and sway bars. It took the edge off the ride. I could not imagine going to a 550 front spring with a small block. Harder is not always better when it comes to suspensions. It is a general rule that a softer suspension that yields to the contour of the road combined with high quality shocks and balanced sway bars will give superior handling. If I had it to do again I would have stuck with the 9 leaf rear spring and the 260 front coils.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark

Sound good !

Have 550, larger ft. bar & rear bar FE-7. For performance 77 FE-7 is great for 68-77 w/ VB rear equil. for less wt.
68-72 may want 73 up body mount bushings for less squeaking that some complain about on 68-72.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade (KJL)

It seems like there are different philosophies about suspension tuning. One favors soft springs, and heavier roll bars, whereas the other likes heavier springs and softer roll bars. I noticed in the most recent VB catalog that the "Street and Slalom System" also comes with 550 lb front coils, but the "Grand Touring Plus System" has the 460 lb coils. Like Dick Guldstrand says, "There's no free lunch"! If you want your car to handle the transitions well, you need heavier springs. I think softer springs are fine for everyday driving, but I plan to hit the track occasionally, so heavier springs will work better for me, I think. If the streets around here were really rough, I might be leery about the stiffer suspension. It would be really nice if the springs were adjustable, but I would worry about tuning. I could see me "adjusting" the suspension so that the car would barely stay on the road. Also, the feedback I'm getting from other forum members indicates that the heavier springs are ok for the street. Guldstrand also has some 600 lb springs (which Bobby was suggesting), but Dick said that the 550 lb springs would be better for my convertible. I am going to trust Dick's judgement on this. He has been setting up Vettes for a long time, and I'm sure he knows what works well. I have heard from some of my racer friends that relying on roll bars can cause an inside wheel to lift in a turn (REDVETRACR....does that sound right?).

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade