C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a '75 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 11:49 PM
es
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking at a '75 this weekend

106K on the car, all original, doesn't really show the miles. All interior bits are there; seats, console, door panels, carpets are presentable. Original radio works. All gauges, lights, switches work properly. AC is cold. Paint looks like it will polish out pretty well. No cracks, gaps, sags in body. Engine starts right up, no unusual noises or smoke. Engine compartment looks stock; no rats nests of spliced, taped, and cut wiring, vacuum lines in place, etc.
I am going to drive it to my house this weekend and spend some time on, around, and under it. Anything in particular I should look for during the inspection? What are the weak points of the '75? Anything else I should be aware of?
The asking price is $7,800. It seems high to me. I have had very little exposure to C3s so I am relying on your guidance in this venture.
Thanks in advance for your help :)
Old 02-19-2002, 12:56 AM
OldSlowVette
Instructor

Default Re: Looking at a '75 this weekend (es)

Only weak point is the stock engine. Can be corrected easily.

Everything else on a 75 is a plus if it hasen't been "beat on".

75's in stock form perform poorly and as "posts" here show, nobody wants them; therefore, they don't usually have the results of "hard driving".

Check carefully for rust in and on the frame and especially under the windshield trim (bird cage).

Any C3 at that price is a bargain, in my estimation, so you should look carefully for "surprise" problems.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:58 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Look at the frame right behind the front wheels, and right infront of the rear wheels for major rust. Also if you can look behind the A pillar padding and headlier padding for major rust. If those check out then you can be pretty sure the rest of the frame is in decent shape. Also door gaps, check for uniform gaps, headlight vacume system. And check most other usuall stuff, like bushings on suspension, sway bars, etc. Maybe some others could chime in here with some more tips.

Good luck with it.

:seeya
Old 02-19-2002, 01:07 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Good info on these links, print-out and take with you. Can't really say much about asking $$, need more info on options and originality.
Good Luck -Rod http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/dpg/part1.htm http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/dpg/part2.htm http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/dpg/part3.htm
:chevy
Old 02-19-2002, 01:08 AM
Jim 77
Racer

Sounds good to me, but I am no expert! I do know, however, that you really should have an expert look at the car! Maybe check with local vette clubs, or a mechanic you really trust.
The only real problem with 75-82 is the catylitic converter. If you are in an emissions area, or one that will start testing soon, your exhaust options will be limited.
Find out what has been done to the brakes. It is very likely they have been worked on, and if the previous owner didn't do it right (stainless sleeved calipers) you might have to.
A few people on the forum have some great links, hopefully they will post them soon.
I don't really know what to think of vette prices these days. Seems like the ratty ones are getting cheaper, and the good more expensive.
And inquiring minds want to know- options? Color? 4 speed?
Good luck!
Jim
Old 02-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

If it is a vert a bargain.....For a coupe not bad Especially if it is numbers matching and original...I love the look of the 75's and 74's :cool:
Old 02-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Looking at a '75 this weekend (Alwyn678)

Sounds a little high for a L48 auto, if it was a L82 4 speed the price would be right on.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:47 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Looking at a '75 this weekend (Paul 75 L82)

Check for emissions equipment !! If you need to pass emissions this may be vital to check. There should be an A.I.R. pump, diverter valve, 2-1-2 exhaust. Also visually check the rear diff. Make sure the yolk's are not rubbing on the casing or any other visual ques. Like others have said check the brakes and make sure they aren't leaking or anything. Pretty basic car but the emissions equipment was missing on mine and I had to buy it all to make it street legal.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:42 PM
es
Pro

Default Re: Looking at a '75 this weekend (flood)

Thanks for all the helpful tips and keep 'em coming :)

It is white, dark red leather (it looks like leather), auto, AC, AM/FM. I don't know what else was an option on a '75. The car doesn't appear to have been abused, just used.
I am not in an emissions area but from what I could see on first inspection, all the parts seem to be there.
I,m planning to drive it home and spend a few hours looking it over. What's the best way to look for rust in the windshield area? Can I just remove the pillar trim or is it better to look from under the dash? Is there anything that would need to be removed to look for frame rust?
Any other weak links beside brakes (electrical systems etc.?)
I have a C4 so I'm accustomed to parts falling off and little, irritating things failing. From what I have seen of the C3s, they seem to be less complicated and easier to work on and also sturdier. Am I correct?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2002, 09:01 PM
es
Pro

ttt please :D
Old 02-20-2002, 01:08 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

ES-
You'll want to remove trim to inspect W/S frame. Use a mirror, trouble lite, ice pick and small hammer to ck chassis frame & trailing arms. Nothing to remove under there, except pulling wheels for better view.
Operate everything, and check all areas. It's almost 30 yrs old, so I would expect some 'little' irritating things to exist! Use your senses and the links I posted above...
Happy Hunting -Rod :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a '75 this weekend

Quick Reply: Looking at a '75 this weekend