C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:48 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump poll

I'm installing a 383 shortly and so far I'm not sure what fuel pump to go with, currently it's running a stock pump but I would really like to go electric since it's such a PITA to change the stock ones. Post your recommendations along with your experiences with them. Pressure regulated one or not? Any thoughts on this appreciated. Reasonably priced ones would be my first choice, I can't really justify paying $250+ but I'm looking at the Holley with the blue label from Summit for $75.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:57 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel Pump poll (C3 Shark Tank)

I am using a stock LT1 pump from a 70 Vette, I think. It has no return line and puts out about 9PSI, I use a regulator to bring it down to 7 PSI. I have been using this same pump and regulator for over ten years now with no problems.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Pump poll (73Ken73)

I am using the stock LT1 pump and have had no fuel problems ever. No regulator either. Cost about 40 bucks. It is not as hard to replace the pump as it is to install an electric pump. Mechanical pumps have fueled L88 big blocks so they should be OK for most street applications
Old 02-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a shiny new Holley mechanical and it leaked like a sieve from the day I put it in. Stopped the leaks eventually but I'll be going electric when I get the new alloy tank made up.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:52 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the Holley Blue that comes with the fuel pressure regulator for $75.00 in Summit Catalog....So far no problems.....I have mine set at 6 psi as recommended by Edelbrock.....Mounted on rear frame (centered) directly below the fuel tank...Be sure to use rubber between frame and bracket or the buzz will get you..... :seeya Cappy
Old 02-19-2002, 12:31 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Fuel Pump poll (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Ken- (I am using a stock LT1 pump from a 70 Vette, I think) a 70 vette pump?

Gordon- is that from a 70 also? Are these LT-1 pumps smaller in size? I have an 81 with AC and it's a real huge pain to get to the stock pump, and here in Florida you NEED the AC in the summer so all that mess is in the way.

Ken/Gordon- sorry for more questions but I'm not familiar with the pumps you have.

Bob- thanks, did you solve the problem with the teflon tape?

Cappy- thanks! that's the one I was kind of leaning towards getting, mounting it in the back of the car.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep'em coming.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:37 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could fix the problem I had with tape. The leaks were from around the diaphram. A call to Holley was of no help whatsoever. Had to take every screw out one at a time and seal them all.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:46 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Fuel Pump poll (Brutus)

Brutus,
That's why I went to the electric fuel pump...I had two mechanical fuel pumps leak at the diaphram (one Holley and the other Mr Gasket 110 gph)....and it was a bitch to change....so after the second fuel pump went south....I went with electric pump installed where it's easy to replace or work on. Took the spare tire and carrier out and had lots of space to mount electric fuel pump.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Scott.... Did you ever HEAR a Holley electric pump? THey are real noise makers. Stock pumps are easy to change if your block has the bolt on the front of the block in line with the pushrod. They work fine and are avaiable everywhere. :cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Fuel Pump poll (silvervetteman)

My NOM started out with a chrome Mr. Gasket(I think), Bubba had that one on the car. I have no return line, so I got an LT-1 from Advance Auto for $19! It drove the pressure gauge wild and I could never get an acurate reading. It would flip rapidly between 5-9lb.

I switch to a Chrome Holley($49) and now run a consistant 8lb. The pump is no problem for me to change, I have no AC.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:10 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

My stock Delco pump puts out 4 to 6 PSI and has the return line feature. Works good for me!
More than 6 PSI with a carb. and you need to think about reducing the pressure before the carb. Maybe with a big filter and a regulator.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:38 AM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

My 383 74R has Holley blue with regulator and filter.....rubber mounted between spare wheel and rear bumper...the first one was incredibly noisy,the second was really quiet......at least i cant hear it over the exhaust.....john :chevy
Old 02-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Scott

The fuel pump is easily replaced by removing the rt. ft. tire & using long extensions.

What happened to your web site?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:52 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Fuel Pump poll (Ganey)

Larry- Noise? What noise? That's why I have sidepipes. :D It's not that big of a deal if it's a little noisy, if the sidepipes can't kill the sound then I'll just turn up the volume on the Alpine.

The stock pump works fine so far, it's just that last time I had to change it I had so much trouble that I decided I'd rather go to the dentist as a hobby rather than do that again.

John- that's what I had thought of doing, build a nice aluminum bracket with rubber mount on the rear of the frame. After I rebuilt the rear diff/suspension last year I left the spare carrier off so people could see my clean rear end. (watch the wise cracks Bob! :jester )

Ganey- I did use the extension when I last changed it, maybe I was just having a bad day, doing it in my friends driveway on a nice 98 degree Florida day probably wasn't helping matters :mad Long story about the web site, should be back up soon.

[Modified by C3 Shark Tank, 7:52 AM 2/19/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump poll

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump poll