C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before I install headers... Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:56 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Before I install headers... Questions?

Now that the manifolds are finally off, I am ready to put the new Dynomax Ceramacoat Headers on! I ask for your experience and advice before I do.

I have a "FelPro" gasket and will be using this. Will I be safe using the bolts provided with the headers? Should I put some sort of anti-seize compound on the bolts before using them? Should some sort of sealant be used between the gasket and the headers? Any and all advice is appreciated for this young learner.

By the way, the headers are going on a ZZZ crate engine with ~20K miles.

Thank you!

Stephen
Old 02-18-2002, 11:29 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Before I install headers... Questions? (VolVette)

ttt
Old 02-18-2002, 11:59 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I haven't done this on my 69 yet but I did it on a 69 Chevelle a long time ago. I don't recommend anything on the gasket but would suggest using locking bolts I think they are called Stage 8 and Jegs and Summit carry them. The problem we used to have with headers was the bolts to head would loosen over time causing the gaskets to blow out. This was annoying and some used use locking wire and french locks to help until they came up with the Stage 8 type.
Good Luck,
Old 02-19-2002, 12:06 AM
79er
Racer

Well here is my two cents.

First for me I had the fel-pro gasket but I could not get a good seal with it so I then tried the Percy's ''Dead Soft'' Header Gaskets from Jegs it worked great. For bolts I did started off using the bolts supply with the headers, but just for peace of mind I'm putting in a set of APR header bolts. I have had to help a buddy pull a broken bolt off his Firebird and never want to do that again.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:39 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Not sure of the bolts that came with the headers but I used allen head bolts on my install. I find it much easier to get the allen wrench on the bolt especially towards the firewall. You will often run into clearance problems trying to turn a wrench on a normal head head bolt.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:41 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using a FelPro gasket for over 3 years. I also used Stage 8 locking bolts. They have a provision for using either a coventional socket/wrench or an Allen wrench.

Since I have Aluminum heads, I used Anti-seize on the bolts. No sealer on gaskets.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:13 AM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Before I install headers... Questions? (glen242)

I have been using a FelPro gasket for over 3 years. I also used Stage 8 locking bolts. They have a provision for using either a coventional socket/wrench or an Allen wrench.

Since I have Aluminum heads, I used Anti-seize on the bolts. No sealer on gaskets.
WHOA! I guess I should have mentioned that my ZZZ crate engine has aluminum heads! Toying with the headers yesterday, I noticed that the bolts that came with it seem to be a lot smaller than the ones I pulled out. Should I be concerned? Most of the size difference can be attributed to the bolts not having to go through the manifolds but they go directly into block.

One more question... The top part of the header that connects to the heads, is not flat and I think this would lead to exhaust leaks. Being more specific, the pipes are very slightly higher than the plate that attaches each of the pipes. Should I try to get the surface adjusted to be flat so that I can get a cleaner seal?

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 02-19-2002, 11:07 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHOA! I guess I should have mentioned that my ZZZ crate engine has aluminum heads! Toying with the headers yesterday, I noticed that the bolts that came with it seem to be a lot smaller than the ones I pulled out. Should I be concerned? Most of the size difference can be attributed to the bolts not having to go through the manifolds but they go directly into block.

One more question... The top part of the header that connects to the heads, is not flat and I think this would lead to exhaust leaks. Being more specific, the pipes are very slightly higher than the plate that attaches each of the pipes. Should I try to get the surface adjusted to be flat so that I can get a cleaner seal?
smaller in length or in diameter - length is to be expected as your Cast iron manifolds are considerably thicker in the bolt areas - if smaller in diameter then you certainly will have a problem.

as to the pipes being higher than the flanges, that is to be expected. the purpose of those is to get a good crush seal against the gasket and head. Think of it as a rather crude 'o-ring' type seal - you will notice that the face of that bead is surfaced flat - it is intended to be that way.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:15 AM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about the felpro gaskets. I would invest in some high quality gaskets. The header bolts come loose because of the gaskets shrinking. If you use a really good gasket then any bolt will not come loose. I use Earl graphoil gaskets and have had no leaks.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:23 PM
Top_Notch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the smaller bolts with the header, not the bigger ones with the
old manifolds. Grind any high spots off the header to create a flat surface
for a good seal. Fel pro gaskets should be fine. Use anti seize on the
bolts and snug them up good. Then, snug them up again after the first
heat cycle, the 5th heat cycle, the 10th heat cycle (by now you'll know
which ones are most likely to loosen) the 20th heat cycle, and then about
once a month. Doing that I've never had a blown header gasket. Once
they set you won't have to worry about them. The headers I have on
now have been on for 4 years and I havn't tightened them (or had any
problems) for over 3 years now.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:26 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Before I install headers... Questions? (Top_Notch)

Will I need a different type of gasket because my heads are aluminum?

Old 02-19-2002, 06:56 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to put anti-seize on steel bolts that go into aluminum heads.

As for gaskets, I believe your manufacturer will recommend a header gasket for your application if they're aftermarket pieces. If they're GM heads of some kind I'd use whatever The General uses on them in OEM applications.

Sealer on the gaskets? Well, some folks do and others don't and each will have perfectly plausible reasons for doing so. Or not. Me? I use a very thin smear of Gray Permatex on both sides of my header gaskets around the ports. And I let it set up a couple of minutes before I attach the headers and torque them down. Why? Habit, mostly. But I can't recall the last time I had a gasket-related leak, either.

Get notified of new replies

To Before I install headers... Questions?

Quick Reply: Before I install headers... Questions?