C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam removal, Help I'm stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Cam removal, Help I'm stuck!

I'm trying to pull my cam. Fuel pump and fuel pump rod are out, lifters are out and I still can't get the bastich out! The first 6 inches comes out easily, then it just stops. The cam isn't jammed or binding on anything, since it when it is out to the 6 inch mark, it still rotates easily.
What am I missing? It has been about 30 years since I pulled a cam on a SBC (I was a Poncho guy for many years) but I'm not a rank amature. I've done this many times and I still can figure what is wrong. :mad
The following users liked this post:
buell1125 (05-11-2021)
Old 02-18-2002, 05:19 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Cam removal, Help I'm stuck! (Smokehouse69)

This may sound overly simple but, is it that your hung up on the cam bearing journal?
When you pull the cam foward it will drop down out of the bearing and you have to lever it back up to slide through the next bearing ansd so on..
A long treaded rod 5/16" if I remeber right will work well as a handle :smash:
The following users liked this post:
buell1125 (05-11-2021)
Old 02-18-2002, 05:20 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this on my S/B rebuild last year, and know exactly where you're at. (This was my first camshaft installation) I assume you still have engine in the car, (I did) and therefore, it's even a little harder to remove, but believe you're just hitting the rear cam bearing journal on the 2nd most rearword engine cam bearing boss.

I didn't think I'd get my camshaft out either, it stopped at this location and didn't seem to want to come any further, but with some patience, I did get it out.

It may help you out, if you install a 3"to4" long bolt in the end of the camshaft, to remove (and install), which helps give you leverage to tilt the back of the cam up to remove it.

Be careful on removal and installation, the cam lobes can hit the bearings in the engine block and nick them, since the bearings are much softer than the cam lobes, and you really don't want to do that. Be patient, and be gentle on camshaft removal and installation.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smokehouse;

On a smallblock the cam journals are only sightly larger than the top or the lobe, so if thecam drops down you have to play with it to get it back up.

Screw a long bolt into the end of the cam to give you some leverage to keep the cam paralell to the journals. (ie: push down on the bolt to lift the back half of the cam). While you are doing this rotate the cam till the lobe is on top as you pull gently. You will have to keep doing this with each lobe. Because the lifter galley is closed in a small block you can't see what you are doing so you have to go by feel.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I just pulled the cam on my 70 model 350/300 last weekend and it just came right out as you would expect. The only snags I came up on were when the cam bearing surfaces would meet. Just work it the cam up and down(heh,heh) and it should come out. I didn`t have a handle so it made it a little harder. Sorry I am not too much help. Keep pluggin you`ll get it.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I guess I'm just not holding my tongue right or something :D
I'll give it another try with a little longer handle and keep you posted on what happens.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:37 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. I had same problem with my cam removal and moving it up and down helped and got it out. I think I was being TOO easy on the cam and was scared to move it up and down but that ended up getting it out easily enough.
-terry
Old 02-18-2002, 07:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I finally got it out, it fought me at every journal but it came out. I went over to TSC and got some 6" 5/16 bolts to replace the 3" I was trying to use as an handle, the extra 3" made the difference, I guess size does matter. :jester
As an added note to you guys with A/C, if you take out the top two bolts where the condensor mounts to the radiator support, you can pull it back at the top of the condensor just enough to get the cam out. You'll have to take out your handle bolts when you get the cam about 3/4 the way out to keep from hitting the condensor, but by that time you won't need them.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam removal, Help I'm stuck!

Quick Reply: Cam removal, Help I'm stuck!