C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator roller rivets...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window regulator roller rivets...

... I bought a new set of rollers for my window regulators. The roller shaft has an integral rivet on the end that attaches to the regulator. The question is how do you "head" this rivet? Surely you don't just hit it with a hammer. Is there a tool for this?
Old 02-18-2002, 01:41 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Window regulator roller rivets... (Mack76)

I used a hammer. Put a drift in your vice and lay the wheel side of the rivet on the drift and smash the other side with a large ball peen hammer. I did mess up a couple tho, and had to redo them, so I was lucky I didn't have to change all of them. If I were you I would replace them one at a time worst to best as necessary in case you need to redo one. It did make a noticable difference in the operation and the rattling of the windows. I also replaced the main sliding roller on the drivers side (ridiculously expensive at around $20 for s plastic wheel - but the vendors stick it to ya on that one). It tends to start to pull apart allowing the window to tilt inward and can make it hard to realign with new weatherstrip. The passenger side didn't need it.

good luck
Chris
Old 02-18-2002, 03:45 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Window regulator roller rivets... (Mack76)

I used a drift pin with a rounded end. what you want is to do is get a rolled lip on the end of the rivet. What you are trying for is the look of the inside of a jacket snap's rivet. The tool you use must be able to spread out the lip and curl it over.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Window regulator roller rivets... (KenSny)

That's kinda what I figgered... I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks, guys. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Window regulator roller rivets...

Quick Reply: Window regulator roller rivets...