C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth?

Hi all,
I am relocating and may have to sell my 78' SA vette project (Sold house and have no where to put this thing!)...
The car has original low miles 37K but you would never know it , because It sat outside for 7 years!! The car's frame was rusty, very solid not rotted.

What I have done so far (what I can think of at 2AM any way.. )

1) Pulled body and stripped frame down, POR15'd the whole thing, put in Trailing arms from a 20K mile mint 82' Rear I had, all new bushings, ball joints, tie rods (all front end pieces from Vette brakes) etc etc.. all new Stainless Steel fuel lines, and brake lines, ujoints, trans lines, rear spring..

2) new SS calipers all round, new front rotors (rears are really nice since only 20K miles on them), New adjustable Strut rods.

3) Motor ran very well when I brought the car in the garage before pulling it apart a year ago. I put new rear seal, front timing seal, intake gaskets, oilpan gaskets, painted the block, and added Dynomax ceramic coated headers.

4) I had a 700R4 trans built from a local shop, can get specs on it, but it was nothing radical (Since this vette was going to be a daily driver, not a 400HP beast). I went for the Bowties custom crossmember.

The body is back on the frame, the motor/trans/rear and all suspension are back in.

Car still needs work before drivable:
1) Haven't had the drive shaft shortened yet
2) rad and support needs to go back in, all accessory's for front of motor need to be cleaned/ painted and put back on and get the motor running.
3) needs wheels polished (I have 7 Alum wheels to go with the car) and needs at least 2 tires.
4) needs exhaust from headers back, I have a mint dual 2.5" dynomax exhaust from a 75 that 90% can be used on this car, just need to change up at collectors.
5) Rear bumper needs to be put back on,
6) Could use interior package, or just carpet, put on slip seat covers, clean the rest and the interior would be fine for a driver.
7) I would replace the weather stripping.
8) would also still need a 4 wheel alignment (Since I just guessed at settings in my garage).
9) No radio, and needs new power antenna.
10) has some nicks onthe body, and front bumper, one crack about 1.5" long on pass front fender. Car could be cleaned and driven as is for a while and would look ok from 10 feet away.. But I was going to have the body painted once the project was done..
11) I have bags and boxes of the parts/bolts that need to go back on the car, most are still rusty and need to be cleaned up/painted before they go back on the car, going with the project will be a vibrating tumbler and Media that I bought to clean up hardware before I put back on the car..

This car was not ever going to be a show car, I wanted a nice solid, very reliable, clean driver. Its only about 70% close to being done. Most of the stuff left (other than above) is mainly TLC stuff.. I easily have 10G into this car (I can't believe how fast it adds up) and it still needs a fair amount of work before it is drivable let alone painted and looking good, so I know I will not get nearly what I have invested (Even for just the parts I put into it!)..
but I have also seen real basket cases (Basicly the same as what this car started out as) for sale and sold at 4-5K

I know this is a very rough description of a project, but what do you guys think this may be worth to someone?
The car is 2 tone silver/gray with oyster interior.

I am located on Cape cod in Yarmouthport, Ma..

I am currently working in New Hampshire, so I can only take pictures on weekends that I am back down on cape.

If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail at bansell@mediaone.net

I really wanted to finish this car, but I am moving out of here in April and I am already working in another state, just got engaged blah blah blah... Basically I don't have the time now and will prob kick myself later!!

thanks

-Bill

Here are some pics along the way.. http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/ban...ntedframe4.jpg http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/ban...etteframe3.jpg http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/ban...terearend2.jpg

Body going back on (By myself!) http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bans25//dcp_1021.jpg

[Modified by Bans25, 2:03 AM 2/18/2002]
_______

Bill Ansell
78' Silver Anniversary

Old 02-18-2002, 10:48 AM
jsimpson
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth? (Bans25)

The question of what it's worth can not be answered. Suffice to say that a project car is worth far less to the buyer than to the seller. The question is waht it will sell for. My estimate is three to five thousand dollars, maybe less due to the depressed market for ANYTHING used since September 11th.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:23 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth? (Bans25)

After all the work you have done the car is really looking nice. You have a lot of time and money in that thing that you will never get out if you sell. Why not look for a boat storage or or other locked storage location and keep it there a few months while your move is completed. You can have the car trailered to the new location if it is not ready to drive.

As far what it is worth I could not give more that 3-6K for a car in such a state. It is really tough to tell without the car in person. Based on your statement of what is left you need about 2-3K more in parts. Then many hours of labor some of which you will most likely have to pay for (alignment...)

I would figure out a way to keep it.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:35 AM
00blackss
2nd Gear

Default Re: What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth? (PatG)

Your gunna get screwed if you sell it. Find a way to keep it and keep it for a long time. Thats the only way your gunna break even is through enjoying the car for years. Unless you really just don't want the car, but dont expect any decent money for it.

Good luck :seeya
Old 02-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking 5-6K.., I see 3-5K 78's running but in bad mechanical shape (basicly how mine was before I did all the work) and they seem to sell.. Boy I am going to take a beeting on this.. :cry

i think if someone came by with 5k I would see her go.. :(

anyone else out there sell a project like this not finished? If so what did you get for it?

[Modified by Bans25, 4:56 PM 2/18/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth?

Quick Reply: What do you think my 78' SA partially completed project is worth?