C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly VS Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 09:42 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly VS Rubber

I'm replacing my tranny and motor mounts. I was wondering if anyone has tried poly mounts and what your experiences have been. I would like to keep the vibration down but I would think the stiffer poly would cause more vibration.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Poly VS Rubber (TTop Tony)

With the torque I'm putting out with my BB, I had to go with the poly ones. I haven't noticed any difference from the old rubber ones. I put the polys in because I drive my car hard, hit the drags occasionally, and didn't want to do it again. Depends on the way you drive; if you are just talking about street driving, you should be fine with either of them. Otherwise ;), if you are adding mods and drive with authority, go with the polys!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:04 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: Poly VS Rubber (Marks69BB)

I won't be putting out anywhere near the horsepower of your big block.
I do about 99% street driving. The rubber ones lasted 27 years with my HP new ones will probably do me. Maybe a hybrid of Poly motor mounts and rubber transmission mounts. Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:13 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Unless you are going to run hard or race, I would suggest the rubber mounts. There have been some members reporting harsher rides with poly and, in addition, your rubber mounts are likely to last for 20+ years before they need replacement.

Gary
Old 02-18-2002, 12:16 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: Poly VS Rubber (GaryS)

I agree I don't need any strange vibrations or a rougher ride. Thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

By the way, regarding torque breaking mounts... Been there, broke that.

What I did was bend up a 5/8" steel rod as follows:

The bottom end of the rod is flattened and drilled, and goes on one of the power steering cylinder frame bolts.

Just inside the frame the rod is bent and angles up to the back of the driver's side head.

At the head, the rod is bent into a U shape and the inside ground flat on the inside of the U to about the size of a poly roll bar end link bushing.

I put a big washer on a bolt along with a steel shank and a poly bushing, and threaded it into the head. Thus, the bar is isolated from the head via the poly, is encapsulated by the bar, washer, and head surface, and prevents the engine from lifting much. This takes the strain off the mounts. Haven't broken one in a long while.

By the way, I have poly mounts for the engine and transmission rear mount. I am fond of poly; it seems to be a better material for automotive application, as compared to rubber. If there's a downside I don't know what it is.

-Noel
Old 02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Poly VS Rubber (Noel Carboni)

Poly is more resistant to gas, oils, and salts and therefore should last longer. I use Moroso solid mounts on my engine and a poly mount for the 700-R4. I am quite happy with both.

[Modified by Stingy74, 10:48 AM 2/18/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Poly VS Rubber

Quick Reply: Poly VS Rubber