C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacer Tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:07 AM
RaC3R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacer Tech

I saw in another post that spacers are not recommended on C3's and should be avoided if possible. Can someone please give me the run down on how spacers work and the benefits/limitations of such a device? The reason why I ask is because I wish to mount C5 rims/tires on my future C3 - will this task be possible? Thanks in advance!

:cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 11:41 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Spacer Tech (RaC3R)

A spacer per se would be a piece of metal slid over the lug studs, therefore pushing the wheel off the hub/rotor/drum by it's thickness....I would NEVER use such a device, as they put way ho too much stress on the lug nuts by inducing additional flex on a longer bolt...nuts not tightened down so far....than any allowances in design would permit...

now having said that.....

a WHEEL ADAPTOR is an entirely differant animal...it mounts like a wheel on the hubs, with 5 bolts, same as a rim....THEN there are 5 studs spaced in between the old lug nuts, that stick out the additional thickness you want...these are made by Vette Brakes, and work fine...I think the thinnest they can make is about 3/4 inch thick...and go out even further than my 2.5 inch thick adaptors I use on my '72 to install '92 wheels on it....

GENE
Old 02-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wheel Spacer Tech (mrvette)

I run one 3/8 machined aluminum spacer on all four coners of my car. I even had to run two 3/8 spacers on the back at one point, but that's a whole other story. I drove my car 800 miles either way on vacation in the summer of 2000 (this is when I was forced to use 2 3/8 spacers on the back). While I was there I drag raced, autocrossed, and just plain drove hard. There and back. I didn't once check the torque on my wheels until I got back home and I though it might be a good idea to check them before the local autocross I was participating in. They were as tight as when the first time I put them on. I am unsure of where the spacer rumor came from. Maybe guys have been using those cheap cast aluminum spacers from Mr. Gasket, I dunno. I know of a person here on the forum that runs a 1" spacer on the back of his car. If it makes any difference, I use special Moroso wheel studs which are about 1" longer than stock length studs. Here's a few pictures I just took:

Old 02-18-2002, 12:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Wheel Spacer Tech (Stingy74)

Well no question that machined aluminum is much better than that cast crap, but well, I dunno, still some additonal flex in there wasn't designed for...longer good quality studs would certainly be in order like you did there...

I'm just a bit leary of that though...too many bad stories....

GENE
Old 02-18-2002, 12:58 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Default Re: Wheel Spacer Tech (mrvette)

a WHEEL ADAPTOR is an entirely differant animal...it mounts like a wheel on the hubs, with 5 bolts, same as a rim....THEN there are 5 studs spaced in between the old lug nuts, that stick out the additional thickness you want...these are made by Vette Brakes, and work fine...I think the thinnest they can make is about 3/4 inch thick...and go out even further than my 2.5 inch thick adaptors I use on my '72 to install '92 wheels on it....
here is a link i found: http://www.wheeladapter.com/
Old 02-18-2002, 05:25 PM
RaC3R
Instructor

Thanks guys for the quick tech, the info/pics/links were great and very helpful. But the bottom line - is it safely possible to mount C5 rims and tires on a C3 without sacrificing performance and wear? I'm assuming yes with the use of wheel adaptors...

:chevy
Old 02-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

- is it safely possible to mount C5 rims and tires on a C3 without sacrificing performance and wear? I'm assuming yes with the use of wheel adaptors...

:chevy
Yes, certainly. Allthough I always liked a wheel that fits the proper application. I really like the deep dished look of my wheels and others here on the forum. That's something you won't get with C5 wheels.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:42 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have great trust in my 2 inch adapters with rear 17X11 wheels. Or even 10.5X28 slicks or 10X29 300 mph rated tires for my Salt Flat runs.

If my 315's or 285's can't break them what could? MY tom's super posi's broke first.

I got them from VB or midamerica :smash:
Old 02-19-2002, 01:56 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

wheel adaptor are not a problem! i've been running '93 sawblades on my '81 for about three years now and love them. i've even seen a c-3 in one of the vette rags with c-5 wheels and i'm sure the adaptors are how their mounted. also bought mine from VB and have had no problems. they sent me a notice last year, they had a recall of some of the studs they were using. sent me new ones and directions on how to install. i haven't done it yet and still have no problems with adaptors. :jester new tire technology rules! :yesnod:
Old 02-19-2002, 06:42 AM
RaC3R
Instructor

Default Re: Wheel Spacer Tech (clutchdust)

Thanks again guys...this board is :cool: :cool: :cool: .

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Spacer Tech

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer Tech