C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering patience, and a many new parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 11:06 PM
Garson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering patience, and a many new parts

After a winter project, I had my new headers hooked up. After I got home I noticed the familiar drip of power steering fluid. I noticed that the new pump I put on this winter was already leaking. In the last five years I have replaced 6 power steering control valves (both new and rebuilt), Four power steering pumps (rebuilt from different companies) Two sets of hoses and two slave cylinders. The olny thing I have gotten out of this is great patience and a tremendous knowledge of a power steering system. I can replace these parts in my sleep..................the good news is the intake , headers and carb rebuild from Lars are working great......

Garson :crazy:
Old 02-17-2002, 11:09 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power steering patience, and a many new parts (Garson)

I'm in the process of doing my first Control Valve and Cylinder - now. Unfortunately the Cylinder has a score on the shaft, so it will be replaced instead of rebuilt.

Headers will be within the next 6 months. And yes the Card rebuild from Lars is fantastic, not to mention the recurve kit.

-David
Old 02-18-2002, 08:45 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power steering patience, and a many new parts (Garson)

I know that Vette Brakes and Products has a five year guarantee on their rebuilt control valves. (Some other suppliers may have the same.)

GM still has some of the original power steering hoses. They are still manufactured by Delphi Saginaw and use the same original components. They still meet OEM specifications.

7809129 1970-79 small block pressure hose (45 degree flare)
7809490 1970-74 big block pressure hose (45 degree flare)
7834409 1980-82 small block pressure hose (metric pump fitting)
7809108 1970-82 Valve to cylinder (Left turn)
7809109 1970-82 Valve to cylinder (Right turn)
7809489 Lower pressure return line

The pump is fairly easy to rebuild. If you are concerned, purchase a rebuild kit from a GM dealer. It will have OEM seals and parts.

I don't know about the assist cylinder.

BTW I always recommend that you use GM power steering fluid. It is the stuff available from GM dealers. I have never trusted the stuff sold at K-mart, etc. It may say meets OEM specs but there is only one approved fluid. It is amber colored (not red) and is packaged in the can with the GM logo. The other fluids may work, but the GM fluid has been formulated specifically to work with the Saginaw pump and it has been tested for millions of miles and billions of successful customer miles.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 6:50 AM 2/18/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering patience, and a many new parts

Quick Reply: Power steering patience, and a many new parts