C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used astro tops

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 10:15 PM
jwbeaty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used astro tops

i'm thinking about replacing my damaged tops on my 73 with the one piece astro top. Has anyone done this and if so what do you think about the product? how easy was the changeover? :confused: Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:32 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Has anyone used astro tops (jwbeaty)

Haven't tried the tops but have thought about it. Also, looked for you at the Cross Flags Club meeting last Thursday night. Sorry you couldn't make it. :sad: Sully joined up with us. :D :cheers: :)
Old 02-17-2002, 10:40 PM
jwbeaty
Intermediate

we had prior commitment and couild not make it. Really wanted to make it but you know things happen. and next month we will be at Myrtle Beach for Run to the Sun.:cool: Hopefully we can make it soon. keep us informed of any get togethers we would love to join up
Old 02-17-2002, 10:54 PM
spokewrench
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

If your talking about the Astro top that is made out of plexiglass (plastic)
We own one, it does not seal wind out between the windshield and top above 50 miles an hour, if you think regular T-tops leak these are like some one opened the flood gates! The seal for the side windows does"nt meet correctly,
and the plastic supports that fit into the center support are prone to cracking
the top itself, if you try to tighten the top up enough to stop the wind and rain from flowing in ( happened to us). Then when we contacted Astro- top
about any warranty period for the top cracking they replied, " we d'ont warranty brand new tops against any cracking,let alone ones over a year old". Nice how they stand behind their products! Nice concept not for us, do yourself a favor and put the money toward a set of G.M. glass T-Tops. Just our experience with these tops!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:04 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

I have one and my experience is not as bad as spokewrench has had. These tops do not seal perfectly but mine does seal fine in front. My problem area is the side window, specifically at the front corner where it meets the windshield post. I bought mine at a corvette show and they told me then that I would have to adjust the seal by adding foam inside. The seal is basically a weatherstrip tubing with a piece if 1"x1/8" plexiglas inside to provide stiffness. I have not bothered trying to get a perfect fit as I do not drive in the rain. As for a replacement top I would not suggest this as a year round or only top. I use mine mainly in the winter and like it. It provides a clean smooth look and gives a little extra headroom over fiberglass t-tops. In the summer I like to have my t-tops for easy removal and stowage.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Aaron76
Pro

I just got mine on friday and was for the moment impressed that it seals as well as it does howerer I do not have my car on the road yet.
It wasn't cheep after you tag the shipping on.
I can totaly agree with you on the lack of customer service when I asked about return/refund policy they told me 30$ to restock plus I loose shipping for both supply and return. having them shiped to canada that was almost the total cost of the top.:nono:
Yet I still bought one :crazy:
but with that being said now that it is installed it "looks" great
Time will tell if it will stand up to the chalenge. All I have to do now is get the guy that did my interior to make me a storage cover for it.
TTFN :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone used astro tops

Quick Reply: Has anyone used astro tops