C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Question 79 Corvette with air???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 08:57 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Question 79 Corvette with air???

Well was working on the vette this morning and noticed that the gen light was on Dim...And the volt meter was reading just under 13 volts...So I had it tested at the local Autozone...The test shows the regulator operating under load all the time(Not sure what that means)...So purchased a new one...They did not have a 74 amp like the one I removed...They just had a 64 amp..I put it in and started it up..It was putting out 14.89 volts at the alternator..and 14.25 at the battery...As soon as I turned on the lights the battery voltage dropped to 13.89volts and the voltage meter on the dash was at 13 volts....I then turned everything electrical on the battery voltage dropped to 12.25 and the dash volt meter dropped down to just before the red and the gen light started to glow...after I shut everything off the meter went right back up....

My question is why does it discharge so much...Do I need a bigger alternator???Is this normal for a 64 amp alternator??.I know the car originaly came with a 62 amp alternator???Will more amps help my discharge problem...if so who makes a more powerful alternator for a 79 vette..that is fairly priced ..Thanks in advance guys

[Modified by BADCAIMAN, 10:12 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-18-2002, 11:19 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Alternator Question 79 Corvette with air??? (BADCAIMAN)

that alt is a bit shy, but ok, barely.....I would while it's not too much $$ to swap, go to one listed under 17SI or SI17 It comes on a '79 Caddy Seville with rear window defogger...rated at 108 amps.....fits mounts fine, never saw any GM it wouldn't....it's a big bigger in diameter, about an inch or so...

GENE
Old 02-18-2002, 09:44 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alternator Question 79 Corvette with air??? (BADCAIMAN)

Well took my original alternator to be rebuilt and upgraded to 98 amps..highest I could go without a bigger case...The cost $80.00 ...Now I have to see if Autozone will take back the one I just brought....Hoping this will help my discharge problem..Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Question 79 Corvette with air???

Quick Reply: Alternator Question 79 Corvette with air???