C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Kill Switch

Old 02-17-2002, 08:34 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Kill Switch

Hi!
I feel like playing on the vette tonight but nothing major. So I'm thinking of rigging up a hidden kill switch in the original cigar lighter location. That's easy enough but I'm wondering what would be the best system to override. I'm considering two systems:
1. The anti-start switch currently located on the clutch pedal.
2. The coil wire (+ or - not sure which is best).
I would like to use the clutch switch as it would keep the job under the dash rather than entering the engine compartment. However, any person stealing the car would have to 'hot wire' it as I wouldn't be giving them the key unless they were pryed from my rigor ridden hands. When hot wiring, does that bypass the clutch switch thereby making the kill switch ineffective? Any other problems I may encounter disabling one of these areas?
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2002, 11:36 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (lbell101)

I did the same thing but since My alarm was not working I used the key hole in th fender for the switch. :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 12:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

A few years ago, in an old GTO/Lemans I had I did a fancy start/kill sequence...
3 relays....one tied to interior lights, which had to be lit, then that enabled the rest of the sequence when the ignition sw was in run position....
hit hidden button # one, and that fired one latch relay, that in turn enabled the second latch relay to fire when button #2 was pressed....then the car would start....but not untill....electric fuel pump back at tank makes a good controll target, no mechanical pump of course....

I mounted the two pushbuttons on the inside bottom edges of the driver's seat, first one next to console, second one a bit further forward more easily seen...
but pushing it first would kill system entirely, untill key was turned off...
if interior lights were off, system would not enable either....

realys were hidden in kick panel, wiring under rugs....they'd have to tear the entire car apart to find it,....hell they'd just HOOK it for all that much troubles....keeps kids out anyway....

jGENE
Old 02-18-2002, 09:54 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (mrvette)

Electric fuel pump with a power cut off... they'll only get a block or two

A powercut off in a fender, painted the same color as the fender. Another on the battery. The goal is that they cant get it running, and they cant figure out the system in 60 seconds.

Old 02-18-2002, 10:43 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

The anti-start switch utilizes 10-12 guage wire, as it is in line with the starter circuit. (Big wires, harder to work with and significant amperage) The coil wires are 16-18 guage. You can wire into them easier, or the starter relay wire, which is also a smaller guage wire.

The main thing is you want to disrupt the normal operation of the vehicle, without it being obvious. Your connections will need to appear stock, (tape or wireloom) if you do go into the engine compartment. I recommend placing a switch inside the passenger compartment, where you can get to it fairly easy. There are a lot of places to put it! Also, if you have an electric fuel pump, you can hide a switch for it as well.

I don't know what to suggest for a tow truck though. I saw one repossesed while it was parked in backwards. The guy hooked up to the front and dragged it about 3 blocks out of a complex, before he turned around and hooked it up from the back. Lots of noise and smoke. Pretty much messed up the front and flatspotted the new tires, but he got the car :eek:
Old 02-18-2002, 10:56 AM
2ND77
Instructor

Wow mrvette! Did you need a check list to get that thing running? lol. Sounds more like a start up proceedure for an aircraft. but, I guess that was the idea huh? I can imagine your passenger reading a list..."interior light on..........."check!" lol. :cheers:

Ron
Old 02-18-2002, 10:57 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the key on the fender to close the electric fuel pumps relay. If anyone cut the alarm the relay wouldn't be engerized and the pumps wouldn't work. The car would start fine but run only about 100 yards then die. I know it works because a few times I forgot and just got into traffic before it died.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:17 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (norvalwilhelm)

I used the key on the fender to close the electric fuel pumps relay. If anyone cut the alarm the relay wouldn't be engerized and the pumps wouldn't work. The car would start fine but run only about 100 yards then die. I know it works because a few times I forgot and just got into traffic before it died.
:lol: :lol: nice kill spot....hope you werent getting ready to *run* someone at the lights when it died !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-18-2002, 11:25 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (2ND77)

2nd77, that was the beauty of it, in fact it was so second nature to me that I never had problem starting the car...it went so fast no one even looking in on me could see/hear/think of what exactly I did then starting the car....

GENE
Old 02-18-2002, 11:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (norvalwilhelm)

Norv, only problem with the fender thing is having to get out of car in traffic and reset the system...cant be done inside out of the rain....
now please don't ask just exactly how I know this....;-(((

GENE
Old 02-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Sweet Idea
Hope you don't mind me using it too. :cool:
Might as well put it on my to do list while I am doing the interior. :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (Armstrong)

I have one, but then again I HAVE to with my Vertex Magneto distributor :D
Old 02-18-2002, 06:36 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the ideas!
I ended up using a toggle mounted where the lighter is. It cuts the connection to the coil from the distributor. Works good. Still cranks but won't fire. I was going to use the starter wire but I was intimidated by the big purple wire.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:59 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch (mrvette)

Norv, only problem with the fender thing is having to get out of car in traffic and reset the system...cant be done inside out of the rain....
now please don't ask just exactly how I know this....;-(((

GENE

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.....especially after reading the post of the guy that car killed in traffic....be very embarassing to get out of the car and stick your key in the fender at rush hour....with the horns blaring at you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Hidden Kill Switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hidden Kill Switch