C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes I know... More paint questions. ARGH!!!!

Old 02-17-2002, 07:23 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Yes I know... More paint questions. ARGH!!!!

Sorry but I have another question for you guys.

How much sealer and K36 do I need to buy?

And also let me get this straight. Do I seal first then prime or do I prime first and then seal? I read Lars's paper but I have also heard that the sealer goes on after the primer. Do you sand the sealer also?

:smash: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 02-17-2002, 08:28 PM
One GM A Tech
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Yes I know... More paint questions. ARGH!!!! (wadew10)

go down to your local paint supply and ask for primersealer. yes thats right primer sealer it has been on the market for years. ppg...... simple aneser prime first then seal. house of Kolor on the web great place for all the anwsers and very nice people too. good luck :smash: :seeya :chevy
Old 02-17-2002, 11:38 PM
69vette66
Pro

If you use the k36 primer, do not wet sand. You must dry sand as it will soak up water and create problems down the road. I would use k36 or standox spray poly fill. Dry sand with flexable long board 280 or 320 grit then seal when you get ready to spray color. Follow all directions and Flash times. I am thinking you will need at least 3 qts k36 for 2 good coats. :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 10:00 AM
SteveA
Advanced

A couple of light coats of DP mixed as sealer is a good idea before K36 (or any primer surfacer) to seal and create a good bonding surface for the primer/surfacer. I sealed mine and used Evercoat Slik Sand to do the rough body work, then K36 for final sanding before BC/CC. If you have a good starting surface & it is prepped correctly, and the painting budget is an issue, you can K36 right on top without the DP. If you have an even K36 surface before BC/CC, you can also skip the DP, but it is recommended that you dont. I have skipped it before and it worked out fine. But I still like the additional security of the DP underneath. Also, you can get the DP in a color that closely matches your BC so you use less paint to cover the surfacer. Good Luck!

Also to answer your first question..You'll need about 3 qts of surfacer...but buy a gallon the be sure...and a qt of DP for each application...1 qt to seal before surfacer and 1 qt to seal before BC...if you do it this way. Also, you'll need a bigger nozzle to spray unreduced surfacer.

[Modified by SteveA, 2:22 PM 2/18/2002]
Old 02-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Yes I know... More paint questions. ARGH!!!! (SteveA)

A quart of DP50 and a gallon of K36. I had alittle left of both but not too much.

Get notified of new replies

To Yes I know... More paint questions. ARGH!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yes I know... More paint questions. ARGH!!!!