C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 07:02 PM
piratemike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Bumper Cover Question

I am planning on replacing the rear bumper cover on my '81 Corvette. I could really use any advice anyone has on what company offers the best fitting cover. I do not want to use urethane so, I am probably looking at something like one of the "true flex" type of covers. Also, if anyone has any tips or advice on installing the rear cover, that would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Rear Bumper Cover Question (piratemike)

Mike, on a similar post, I've seen where people here on the forum the past couple of years, it kinda seems "hit or miss" on a great fitting bumper. In your case, the rear one is the easier of the two to do. I put TrueFlex's(front & rear)on my '75 last winter and they came out good, not great or perfect, but decent. Some of these companies WILL send you another one if your not happy with the fit on the first one. Supposedly, ECKLER'S replacement bumpers are made from the "original" GM molds and many here on the forum have had good luck with his, although his can be a little pricier from what I've seen in his catalogs. I've seen '74 rear Eckler's bumpers and they seem to be a great fit. I called Toledo Pro Fiberglass(makers of the TrueFlex ones)and got "seconds" for my '75. These were scuffed and scratched with slight mold cuts that they do not want to sell to MidAmerica, CorvetteCentral, Zip, etc. Yes, I had to sand them, featherfill them and slightly shape them a little, but for what I paid, $322 shipping included for both my front AND rear for my '75 which I thought was a very good deal. The little bit of labor I had to do to me was well worth both bumpers for $322.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:05 PM
dukvet76
Pro

What condition is the cover you have on in now?
Old 02-18-2002, 09:46 PM
piratemike
Instructor

Default Re: Rear Bumper Cover Question (dukvet76)

Thanks for the info. I may give them a call and see about getting "seconds" also. By any chance do you have a phone number, or other way to contact them?
As far as the condition of my current rear bumper cover, it is ok other than a few "waves" on the spoiler and a slight "bulge" near the "C" in CORVETTE. Other than that, it is in great shape.

Mike
Old 02-18-2002, 09:59 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Mike, I have'nt been able to find their number for a while. If you go to "Yahoo" on their yellow pages and search "Toledo Pro Fiberglass", city "Toledo, Ohio", it should come up with a phone number. I actually bought mine two years ago and installed them last winter. I believe "Scott" is the person I talked to, if I'm remembering correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bumper Cover Question

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Cover Question