C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help identifying ring gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help identifying ring gear!

When I bought these gears I was told they were from a manufacturer by the name of Scheifer, which to my knowledge is out of business. Upon closer inspection I found a marking which I think might be from Dana. Take a look at the picture below where my thumb is and you'll find the marking I am speaking of . What do you guys think? I've also included a picture of the Scheifer marking as well. Thanks!!

[Modified by Stingy74, 4:36 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 06:57 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Need help identifying ring gear! (Stingy74)

Stingy,
I remember Schiefer, they made clutches. I`m curious though, if the gears fit a Corvette rear end what is the difference who made them??
.....redvetracr
Old 02-17-2002, 07:02 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Default Re: Need help identifying ring gear! (redvetracr)

Stingy,
I remember Schiefer, they made clutches. I`m curious though, if the gears fit a Corvette rear end what is the difference who made them??
.....redvetracr
I'd just like to find out a little more about them. Seeing that they aren't around anymore makes me beleive they are maybe of a lesser quality. I'm trying to convince myself otherwise. I've checked the entire internet from start to finish and I can't find any information.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

I did a search on Scheifer clutches, and your right. I came upon an automotive suppliers contact list page and the date beside the info was in 1985 sometime. Another search resulted in some post from a message board somewhere:

Theres one in the SF Bay Area that everyone up here uses- Bay City Friction. They also reline brake shoes & pads on rare parts if they're not too badly damaged. "Friction-Phil" fixes them all.... except for Scheifer metallic clutches & flywheels (since the patent-infringement lawsuit years ago). Cheers- J deRyke

Old 02-17-2002, 07:30 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Stingy,
I would be willing to bet they got gobbled up by a bigger company. If you knew a real "old timer" running a speed shop up there (in Canada) he could probably tell you what happened to them. The chances are also very good that Dana made the gears and Scheifer just marked the "S" and reboxed them. .....redvetracr
Old 02-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Default Re: Need help identifying ring gear! (redvetracr)

I'll ask a few of the older guys I know if they know what happebed. Interesting paragraph about the patent infringment..Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help identifying ring gear!

Quick Reply: Need help identifying ring gear!