C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end installed - picts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 05:15 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear end installed - picts

pictures as promised

Went together really easy with little problems - sway bar mounts were a little bit of a task but other than that it all pretty much fell together.

No smart struts but I do have the 1/2" thick spacer to lower the rear roll center, but I do have VB poly struts - offset trailing arms and bearings from Bairs - all stainless shims - new cotters - new poly pinion snubber etc.....

It started raining so we called it a day - all that is left is install brakes, shocks and bleed the system before pulling it out and driving it around the block before its off to the alignment shop.

[Modified by fauxrs, 12:30 PM 2/17/2002]

[Modified by fauxrs, 1:16 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 05:30 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Rear end installed - picts (fauxrs)

Mmmmm perdy :). Glad to hear that everything went together ok. Did you have your existing rear end rebuilt or did you get a different one? What ratio? :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 03:08 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rear end installed - picts (bence13_33)

Mmmmm perdy :). Glad to hear that everything went together ok. Did you have your existing rear end rebuilt or did you get a different one? What ratio? :cheers:
Its the existing rear that I cleaned up myself - replaced the side yokes and seals - 3.70:1 ratio - new muskegon HD rear cover
Old 02-18-2002, 08:56 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Rear end installed - picts (fauxrs)

fauxrs: Looks really good! How long did the task take? I've done the same thing once before and I thought it was very time consuming, now I'm doing it for good :crazy: :yesnod: :lol: !
Old 02-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Rear end installed - picts (groovyjay)

I did this last winter. There is great satisfaction when this job is done and you can drive it around the block for the first time. I was nervous. Listening to everything to make sure all was right. After several small trips, I have put many miles on the car. This winter the front suspension is getting done.
Congrats on a job well done.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:00 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rear end installed - picts (groovyjay)

fauxrs: Looks really good! How long did the task take? I've done the same thing once before and I thought it was very time consuming, now I'm doing it for good :crazy: :yesnod: :lol: !
Well It took me longer than I had anticipated, but some of that time was moving a lot of stuff out of the rain when it started - As you may have surmised I'm doing all this in an unlit 1 car garage with no 'lectricity :lol: Anyway, I started about 8am - a friend showed up to help me get the diff up in place - another showed up and ran for coffee and breakfast burritos :smash: anyway we had this much wrapped up by 10:30 - 10:45 , it started to get pretty cool and it darkened up in the garage so we called it.

I just came back in from the garage this moring and Have.....

installed calipers - L/R
installed rear shocks - L/R
set baseline camber
set baseline toe
filled diff w/ gear lube and posi additive
installed heat shield
connected parking brake cable (I'm a little worried about this as the offset arms make that cable want to really twist around)

so when I can get my friend back over we will bleed the brakes and set it back on the ground for a test drive. Gettin' close

heres another shot

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end installed - picts

Quick Reply: Rear end installed - picts