C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed

Old 02-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed

Just installed a new 8" Bazooka EL amplified bass tube. I'm using the RCA cord trigger which turns the built in amp on when it detects music. The problem is that it only senses music when the volume is turned way up. If I turn the volume down, the amp turns off. I could wire it to an acc. in the fuse block, but that causes the amp to turn on everytime the car is on regardless of the stereo. My din unit only has one accessory feed which is connected to the power antenna, so I can't wire the Bazooka directly to the radio. Anyone run into this and how did you solve it?

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-17-2002, 06:04 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (Jim73)

Had the same problem. Got rid of the automatic power on junk. Wired it to the battery directly and the second line with the RCA preamp out's up along the tunnel and under the dash and wired into the radios accessory switch.

Believe me, it doesn't work right. You need to go straight. Once I did that, I love it.

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 5:09 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 07:25 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Jim you can wire both the power antenna and the amp to the same blue trigger wire from your head unit. Both the antenna and amp don't rely on the blue wire to power them, only to turn them on, so it is a low current circuit. If it would make you feel better, you could use the blue trigger wire to turn on a relay, which in turn would turn on your amp and antenna.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (7t2vette)

Thanks to both of you for the input. I really like the idea of using a relay to power both the antenna and the amp. I'm still pissed at Bazooka and plan to give them a call. I think they probably know this is a problem but fail to alert the consumer. Having the alternative power source makes for good advertising for them. What a bunch of crap :mad

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-18-2002, 12:52 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (78Vette-SA)

78Vette-SA,
Does the 8" amplified Bazzooka put out a good bass thump? :seeya Cappy
Old 02-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Yes it sounds good, and it really does not take up a bunch of space. I purchased it off Ubid.com for $81.00 brand new, in box with warranty. Crutchfield sells it for $250.00. If you decide to go the Bazooka route, check all the online auctions. You can find a better deal than retail or Crutchfield.

Regards,

Jim
Old 02-18-2002, 09:55 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

78Vette-SA,
Does the 8" amplified Bazzooka put out a good bass thump? :seeya Cappy
Tons of bass. There is also a separate volumne control on it and if you crank up the bass on the stereo unit, it affects the sub also.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (78Vette-SA)

I have a bass tube also, though not a Bazooka. A few years ago when I installed it I went the power antenna relay route. And here I thought I was being creative. :)

A powered subwoofer will DEFINITELY improve your listening experience.

-Noel
Old 02-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (Noel Carboni)

Well, I just spoke with tech support at Bazooka (SAS), and told them they should better explain the auto on feature. They are aware that there may not be enough voltage at low volume level to maintain power to the amp. I suggest writing that in the user manual and that the auto on feature is misleading. Anyway, he suggest connecting to the auto antenna lead even though I have already connected the power antenna. I don't have a seperate amp lead. I'll try it and if that lead can power both and a relay. This should solve my problem.

Regards,

Jim

P.S Listening to the Eagles remake of Hotel California off the "When Hell Freezes Over" cd really rocks with the subwoofer.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:27 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

P.S Listening to the Eagles remake of Hotel California off the "When Hell Freezes Over" cd really rocks with the subwoofer.
And I thought my MOM wrote that title !!! I sure heard it enough !!! :smash: :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (ylose)

And I thought my MOM wrote that title !!!
Ooh, ow, groan, I'm feeling my age.

While *I* partied hardy to Hotel California when it came out, I was long gone from home. When I lived at home *my* mom listened to dance tunes from the '40s, and she still watches Lawrence Welk reruns. :cry

-Noel
Old 02-21-2002, 12:18 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed (Noel Carboni)

hehe....Noel....

Lawrence who? :lol: :lol: man i thought that was just a museum or something... :smash: :smash: :smash:

Noel....love your car...and uhm...your model built exactly like it !!!! some people have too much time on there hands !!! ....hurry up and get yours done....I will put mine on a flatbed tonight for when your ready for another 'project' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paging anyone with a Bazooka bass tube installed