C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transmission Gasket?

Does Felpro make a transmission gasket similiar to the one they make for the oil pan? When I was detailing my car this winter I replaced the tranny filter and gasket and I have not even been running the car yet and the pan gasket is already seeping fluid and dropping on the floor. What is the story on replacing these gaskets so they won't leak?

[Modified by Binnie77, 3:06 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 02:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Gasket? (Binnie77)

I seen too many cork gaskets leaking, and I have NEVER, not ONCE ever had one that did NOT leak....if you got cork, you got a leak....
now having said that....I cured a 400 tranny once, by cleaning VERY carefully everything....pan, housing, etc....get RID of the drips....
use RTV silicone seal Black O2 proof stuff, and NO GASKET....
it weeped a bit, but no drips....make sure the dipstick tube is fresh O ring too...

GENE
Old 02-17-2002, 02:53 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Gasket? (mrvette)

I seen too many cork gaskets leaking, and I have NEVER, not ONCE ever had one that did NOT leak....if you got cork, you got a leak....
now having said that....I cured a 400 tranny once, by cleaning VERY carefully everything....pan, housing, etc....get RID of the drips....
use RTV silicone seal Black O2 proof stuff, and NO GASKET....
it weeped a bit, but no drips....make sure the dipstick tube is fresh O ring too...

GENE
Gene..this gasket is a GM gasket and is made of a dark grey fibre material. It looked pretty good. Like the installation instructions said, I never used any adhesive at all, just cleaned the surfaces thoroughly and put it on. The gasket that was on there was cork and it was not seeping enough to drop any on the garage floor.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:01 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Gasket? (Binnie77)

FWIW, my cork gasket has not leaked since I put it on about a year ago (wood :smash: ). Of course, maybe that's because I leak enough at the front seal :rolleyes:

Anyway, you want the mating surfaces very clean (no old gasket material or anything on them). Make sure you didn't warp, gouge, or bend any part of the mating surface on the pan. And finally, torque the bolts down to spec. Overtightening (at least a cork gasket) is a big no-no.

Hope you can get it stopped, leaks SUCK!

BTW, sorry, I didn't answer your question :crazy:

[Modified by jerryp58, 2:03 PM 2/17/2002]
Old 02-17-2002, 03:14 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Transmission Gasket? (jerryp58)

I have leaks from the front seal and where the speedometer cable goes in.
the front seal I will deal with when I rebuild the tranny but the other one I would like to fix now.
How is it done.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2002, 09:46 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Transmission Gasket? (Aaron76)

Aaron76,

This was a relatively easy fix on my TH350. There were two gaskets for the speedo gear. Have you had the speedo cable off? If not, simply screw the "nut" holding the cable off and pull the cable out. Then there is one bolt holding a small plate that holds the speedo gear housing in place. Remove that bolt and plate and the speedo gear housing should pull out. One of the seals is simply an O-ring on the outside of the housing. The other is a O-cup sorta ring that the speedo gear shaft goes through. You should be able to pick up both at your local Chevy dealership (I don't know if auto parts stores carry them). A little trans fluid will seep out during the process. Also, when you put the new seals in, coat them lightly with trans fluid.

I think that's all there is to it. Hope it helps. Good Luck!
Old 02-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Aaron76
Pro

jerryp58:

Thanks for the info I will look for those parts this week.
do you think they have new speedo gears as well I think mine is inaccurate but I don't know which one I would need here is my info.
350,Th350 tranny, 3.08 rear end 235-60-15 tires.
thank you. :cheers:
Old 02-18-2002, 12:27 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't know, I just have no luck with cork, I have tried all sorts of tightening sequences and torque from thumb tight to clamp hell out of it...
never lasted too long...I think it's luck of the draw,....
that GM gray thing didn't work for me either once.....since then for me anyway,...it's RTV and forgetaboutit....

GENE
Old 02-18-2002, 12:37 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, my cork gasket has not leaked since I put it on about a year ago (wood :smash: ). Of course, maybe that's because I leak enough at the front seal :rolleyes:

Anyway, you want the mating surfaces very clean (no old gasket material or anything on them). Make sure you didn't warp, gouge, or bend any part of the mating surface on the pan. And finally, torque the bolts down to spec. Overtightening (at least a cork gasket) is a big no-no.

Hope you can get it stopped, leaks SUCK!

BTW, sorry, I didn't answer your question :crazy:

[Modified by jerryp58, 2:03 PM 2/17/2002]
I agree with Jerry. I use cork and they never leak. It is all in how you tighten them. I use a nut driver to torque them. Any leverage from the use of socket wrench(even a 1/4drive) will probably crush the gasket. The nutdriver method will give you the perfect amount of pressure. This is also a good idea on valve cover gaskets and the thick factory style carb to intake gasket.
Good Luck, Tom
Old 02-18-2002, 03:05 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Transmission Gasket? (Aaron76)

Yes, I would think you'd be able to get the speedo gears at your Chevy dealership. I think you should remove the one in there and take it with you. For some reason, my TH350 has a small diameter gear versus the larger one :confused:

I'm not sure why yours would be off. Your tires might have a slightly smaller diameter than stock. Do you think the speedo reads high? Maybe someone has the wrong speedo gear in there. Anyway, according to the ZIP catalog; one tooth = 1-1/2 MPH and you add teeth to slow the speedo down, remove teeth to speed it up. So, count the teeth on your existing gear and work from there.

Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Gasket?

Quick Reply: Transmission Gasket?