C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric fans?

Old 02-17-2002, 11:24 AM
stickben
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric fans?

Im wanting to get rid of the belt driven fan and go with an electric. What size should I look for and how many CFM would be good?

thanks,
ben
Old 02-17-2002, 06:43 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: electric fans? (stickben)

I would go with the dual spal Jegs sells for $279. It looks like a good fit. I'm using a late model Chevy Celebrity fan and it works fine up until about late August(110 degrees). It will be gone in the spring.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:34 PM
stickben
Instructor

cool, does anyone have any CFM numbers?
Old 02-17-2002, 07:59 PM
350stingray
Intermediate

I wouldn't mind having that set up either... part number would be good to have.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:07 PM
stickben
Instructor

ttt
Old 02-17-2002, 10:41 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

If you go with the SPAL, you will get the best price from Tom Dewitt. Check out the following link, this is for the dual with wiring and thermostats.
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=251

For just the unit check.
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=211

Cheapest price you will find on the SPAL's. I just ordered a 16" single with thermostat from Dewitts. My intent is to go with the single, if I have problems I will either move to the duals or add a pusher on the front side of the radiator.

Electric fans have been beat to death on the forum over the last month, do a search in the archives for electric - this will bring up several entries for the fans.
David
Old 02-17-2002, 11:07 PM
Steve439
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David was quicker to reply. I was going to say what he said (without
the nice links). Tom is a supporting vendor so I'll deal with him.

Tom's going to be at the Chevy/Vettefest if you're going.
I'm going to buy or order the dual Spal setup from him at the show.

This is the Spal site if you want to check it out:
http://www.spal-usa.com/html/spalhome.htm
Old 02-18-2002, 09:44 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: electric fans? (Steve439)

Jeg #134-75007 $277.99
4.25" thick, 2780 CFM @ 25 amps
Dual 11"
BeCool brand with Spal Fans
Old 02-18-2002, 12:56 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: electric fans? (Budman78)

I got to thinking....watch out...... that one 18' fan moves more air then 2 12" fans. Check it out...
18' = pieRSquared= 254.34 for area.
2 12"= pieRsquared= 226.08 for area.
So....if the area of a 18" fan is larger then two twelves, and it only has a single engine taking up some of the area it should move more air....RIGHT?
-Travis
Old 02-18-2002, 01:51 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: electric fans? (TJKirby82CE)

A couople of us have added dual fans from a 95, 96 f-body. Goes in with only minor trimming and I figure some of those cars are pumped up to 400hp plus. So if they keep those cars cool, it should work on mine. I haven't tested mine in the summer yet but it works beautifully so far.

check out http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/GriffinFans.doc

and
http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/vetteda...ectric_fan.htm

for details.

As an aside, my new griffin generic radiator cools so well on a cool day that the fans never come on when on the freeway, and I am running a 160 degree thermostat.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:07 PM
stickben
Instructor

well, im a poor college student (yaya i know :) ) Im looking for an inexpensive fan. over at summitracing.com they have a 16" perma cool fan that is rated to move 2100-2950 CFM , They also have a thermostat that i was also looking into. The whole thing is about $100. Im still just considering this option, Is a shroud nesessary? It would probably be best to get the maximum ammount of air through the core. heh I dunno, ill have to do some measuring on the shroud I have now, maybe I can get the perma cool to fit inside.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:18 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

I thought about going with the Perma Cools. Personally I think you should give it a try and let us know how it works. There are a lot of people on the forum running single fans, as well as a lot running dual's.

Is the shroud necessary? The only reason I am going with electric fans is to get rid of that #$%@'ing shroud. I could care less about the performance gain (I say this now).
Old 02-19-2002, 09:27 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

stickben - I am looking at different ways also.

I'm not totaly convinced that having the shroud is that big a deal, whether you leave the stock on or buy duals with the shroud.

Yes, the PermaCool 16" will mount to the radiator and you can leave the stock shroud in place. I'm not convinced that you would even need the shroud, since it was there to funnel the air with the stock waterpump driven fan.

You could also mount two 12" Permacools for more cfm, without a shroud also.

I'm trying to find a 96 F-body (Camaro/Firebird) dual fan assembly from recycling yards. They go for about $100-150 which is still cheaper than a SPAL. I personally think the SPALs are overpriced and probably overrated when compared to other combinations that people are running with good results.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:16 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone seems to like the Spals. They are also used on a number of higher priced european cars.
Although a single large fan may equal twins in CFM, realize that a single runs almost all the time at 25+ amps while duals run most of the time on a single fan at about 12 amps.
Those amps aren't free either in terms of engine drag or future maintenance.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:48 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Default Re: electric fans? (flynhi)

The PermaCool 16" runs at about 11amps. There's no more reason for a single fan to be running "all the time" than to have one-half of the duals running all the time.

I don't know anyone around here running a SPAL that I can measure amp draw, but I'd bet they run at least 10-11 amps per fan...... The advertisement quotes 25 amps total.

flynhi is right tho, depending on what options are on your car you may have a low amp alternator. If you have a rear window defogger and/or A/C you have a higher rated amp. Still, you could be right at the max limit if you install a 25amp system.

I would doubt that you could get away with running one fan of a SPAL unit in "around town driving" as each fan by itself is only 1200-1300 (or so) CFM.

Again, there are a lot of guys on the forum, running different types of fan configurations. All seem to work. Depends on what you want to pay for "name brand" and how much installation modification you want to do yourself. From what I've heard here, most guys installed SPALs because they got a package deal when they got a new radiator. If you don't need a new radiator than shop around a little.....

[Modified by KenSny, 1:50 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 03:26 PM
stickben
Instructor

I dont have the defogger window, but I (did) have AC, Its not hooked up and I dont want to spend the money to get it fixed, T-Tops work well :). Ill probably try out the permacool 16", looks like i might be able to fit it in the shroud. I was thinking that the shround would help pull air through the rad instead of pulling air in from other places.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:57 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Remember - the PermaCool fans must be mounted on the radiator to realize the rated CFM. Do not mount it to the circular opening in the shroud....

Get notified of new replies

To electric fans?

Old 02-19-2002, 06:43 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: electric fans? (KenSny)

The PermaCool 16" runs at about 11amps. There's no more reason for a single fan to be running "all the time" than to have one-half of the duals running all the time.

I don't know anyone around here running a SPAL that I can measure amp draw, but I'd bet they run at least 10-11 amps per fan...... The advertisement quotes 25 amps total.

flynhi is right tho, depending on what options are on your car you may have a low amp alternator. If you have a rear window defogger and/or A/C you have a higher rated amp. Still, you could be right at the max limit if you install a 25amp system.

I would doubt that you could get away with running one fan of a SPAL unit in "around town driving" as each fan by itself is only 1200-1300 (or so) CFM.

Again, there are a lot of guys on the forum, running different types of fan configurations. All seem to work. Depends on what you want to pay for "name brand" and how much installation modification you want to do yourself. From what I've heard here, most guys installed SPALs because they got a package deal when they got a new radiator. If you don't need a new radiator than shop around a little.....

[Modified by KenSny, 1:50 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 08:11 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: electric fans? (TJKirby82CE)

If that Permacool only draws 11 amps when installed up against a restricitve radiator, it is EXTREMELY efficient.
When I was researching this last year, I found that some manufacturers publish amp draw in free air and some rate them when installed up against a radiator. Just make sure you know what you're getting.
My earlier comment about one Spal running referred to others posts about installing their setup with one fan on a fixed thermostat (say 180) and the second on a manual switch to be used only when then AC was on in stop and go traffic.
Someone commented that the Spals were so efficient that if both came on, they would cool down very quickly and the system would short cycle on and off around the set point.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

How much hp can the dual 11" Spals take? I'm looking for something to put in my motor, and the motor will hit the high 300's range when I get it modded. Would the dual Spal setup work fine? I really hate my whiney engine driven fan.
-Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electric fans?