C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Horn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better Horn?

The stock horn on my '73 is pretty anemic. Are there any upgrades that will give more "ooomp"? The horn in my C5 sounds great. Will that one work?
Old 02-17-2002, 03:22 AM
noxqsz
Instructor

Default Re: Better Horn? (Corellian Corvette)

Han Solo;

I feel your pain. Have a '73 with the same horn characteristic. It just doesn't suit the character of the car. Had the same problem with a Camaro I have, about the same vintage, and I replaced its one-tone horn with a dual tone set from a late 80s Caprice Classic. Sounds great, looks factory, cost me about $5. Actually, I think any 12V horn will work. Just find one you like the sound of, and that fits in the somewhat limited space you have to work with.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:32 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Better Horn? (noxqsz)

One of the horns on my '75 was beyond resurrection so I replaced it with one from NAPA. No drama at all and is louder, as well.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Better Horn? (Frank75)

Which NAPA number did you replace it with? Also, I've heard of people getting dual horns for the newer models (I guess the older ones had dual horns.) - Any idea what notes and dB level I should be looking for?
Old 02-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

noxqsz - good catch on the name (not many people get it).

For the horn that you got, did you get it from a store or Junkyard? Is it a single horn or do you have 2? Do you remember the exact year of the car (maybe I can go to NAPA and try to find the replacement)

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I can't find the receipt for the horn I bought so don't know the number. Each horn is tuned to a different note and I was able to determine which one didn't work. I verified the tone of the good horn against an electric piano and bought one (I think) that was a minor third above it. For example, I think my good horn was tuned to D and I bought one tuned in F. This was last year and to be honest I can't remember that much about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Better Horn?

Quick Reply: Better Horn?