C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 07:59 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems

First of all i want to thank you guys for the help with all the questions i have had about carbs, and tunning, but i still have problems. for some back ground information i have a 454 with a 3-speed auto and 3.7 gears in the back. the timing was set a 2 deg btdc so i adjusted it to 32-36 at full advance. this means that my inital is a 10 btdc. i went to the track to day and on my first run i had absolutly the exact same numbers ( within a few hundredths of a second) as the last three times i went to the track. which was before i adjusted the timming. shouldn't there been a change? durring the first run as the car shifted to third the car bogged down for a second as it took off again it squeeled the tires ( which i thought was pretty cool considering i was going 60+ mph). i thought that my car was cuting out because it was to lean, so i turned the idle screws 1/2 turn richer the car ran worse. it just semmed to bog down and cut out. the third run i thought i adjusted the carb the wrong way so i turned the screws 1/2 turn leaner then the 1st run positon. the car ran even worse than the second time. does any one have a idea what is going on?:confused:
first run second run
r/t............1.164............ .659
1/8 et.......9.55..............9.859
mph.........76.14.............72.33
1/4 et.......14.59.............15.10
mph..........96.74............95.14

thanks for any ideas :confused:

[Modified by ykp53, 6:01 PM 2/16/2002]
Old 02-16-2002, 08:24 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems (ykp53)

Sounds to me like a bad fuel pump. Your car should be turning faster times than that!

About the only thing I can think of is a fuel pump or your not getting good enough spark to ignite the fuel. It sounds like your problem lies in either of those two areas.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:38 PM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems (ykp53)

i thought that my car was cuting out because it was to lean, so i turned the idle screws 1/2 turn richer the car ran worse. it just semmed to bog down and cut out. the third run i thought i adjusted the carb the wrong way so i turned the screws 1/2 turn leaner then the 1st run positon. the car ran even worse than the second time. does any one have a idea what is going on?:confused:
Wise behind mode on-----------------

first hint.... just before the green lighjt on the tree goes on..... press the pedal on the right side of the floor.... the one that goes up and down..... not the one that goes side to side....

Of course, if you want to continue tuning with the -> IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS <- ignore this hint....

--------- Wise behind mode off

The idle mixture screws will do very little if anything to help your 1/4 mile times, and nothing to do with your times once you are 20' from the tree. How do your plugs look? Colour wise? What carb do you have?

One cheap thing to do would be replace the fuel pump, it could cause your problems and is easy and inexpensive. The next would be ask Lars for suggestions on jets and metering rods (if a Q-Jet). A cheap tuning aide would be a G-Tech for your cars. A G-Tech would allow you to try things without going to the track or a dyno to check effects, all you would need is a nice open road. Use the same road all the time to repeat results.

Good Luck

Old 02-17-2002, 04:39 PM
ykp53
Racer

Default Re: thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems (gerry c)

well after i finished eating the burger and fries then i decided ( this explains the slow first reaction time) to step on the gas. i have a edelbrock 1910 carb. From the looks of my plugs i am running to rich, but would this cause me to bog down when the car shifted?

Get notified of new replies

To thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems

Quick Reply: thanks for the help,.... but i still have problems