C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of different TPS settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Effects of different TPS settings

What is the effect of setting a TPS on the high side of the setting range vs. setting it on the low side. I have read that setting it on the high side is a "performance" setting, which would lead me to conclude that spark is advanced sooner and fuel delivery increased because the ecm thinks the butterfly's are more open than they really are. Is this right?
Old 02-17-2002, 09:24 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Effects of different TPS settings (Larry82)

ttt
Old 02-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not totally sure in your car but, messing with the TPS adjustment can prompt trouble code from your computor. Its a good idea to become very knowledgeable and aware how these systems work before you go muckin with them. Theyre usually set a certain way, and are supposed to remain that way.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Rocket Ron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Effects of different TPS settings (Jvette73)

Yes you can set the TPs higher but you won't really get that much of a gain.Mostly it will be in throttle response.There is a unit available that plugs in between the dist and the wire harness but the one I saw was for 82 to 92 camaro.I don't know if that will work.It is in the summit catalouge.
I am going to put one on my camaro in the near future because I am going to start drag racing this year.

The TPS will as change if you change the idle so watch out. Good luck and let me know if you find out any tips because I am always looking for a performance gain.
Old 02-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Effects of different TPS settings (Jvette73)

Not totally sure in your car but, messing with the TPS adjustment can prompt trouble code from your computor. Its a good idea to become very knowledgeable and aware how these systems work before you go muckin with them. Theyre usually set a certain way, and are supposed to remain that way.
Anytime you (i.e., me) balance the tbi's on a crossfire, last step is to check the tps to make sure it is set right. Specified settingis .525v + or - .075. I have no problem setting it correctly. But, is there a difference is you set it at .600v vs. .450v? The higher the setting, in the specified range, is suppose to be a "performance" setting. But what is going on? More fuel delivery sooner, more spark advance sooner?
Old 02-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

I found my tps was set at .589v, which is in the acceptable range, but high. I have also been experiencing a righ condition and detonation at WOT (yes, Hypertech chip). So, I set it at .515v, just under the spec .525v and, the rich condition and detonation has disappeared. So, to answer my own question, it seems that the high setting does tell the ecm that the throttle is more open that it really is. The ecm would advance the timing too soon? And, enrich the fuel delivery? At least I think so.

Part of my rich fuel also, I think, is because I put the famous 85 fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in. I cannot get the fuel pressure down under 12, which is high.

Get notified of new replies

To Effects of different TPS settings

Quick Reply: Effects of different TPS settings