C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil coolers

Has any one out there used an oil cooler to bring down their engine temp.
If so what were your results. good , bad , worth the money.
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:12 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Oil coolers (Aaron76)

I've run coolers on a couple of Camaros in the past, and I think the do help keep the engine temps down. I was even thinking of adding one when I pull the radiator and condensor this spring.

You really need to get them in the airflow. I see that you can get them with an electric fan mounted to the cooler itself so it don't have to sit in the airflow.

Anyway, I don't really see a nice place to mount the cooler, without a fan, in the airflow. Has anyone else mounted one near the frame rails or something similar?
Old 02-16-2002, 09:44 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Oil coolers (Aaron76)

We found a used Z51 oil cooler from a C4 that adapts to the oil filter area on the engine. It's water/water and runs up through the radiator. It's a Corvette part, but we have maybe $45 in everything with the new pipes up to the radiator. Unfortunately, we are not far enough along to drive the car, but expect a quicker engine warmup, 10-15 degrees cooler operating temperature, and a more stable operating temperature.

Spike

Get notified of new replies

To Oil coolers

Quick Reply: Oil coolers