C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a moment in my vette the other day.....

Old 02-16-2002, 04:39 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Had a moment in my vette the other day.....

It was the day before valentine's day and I was driving home on the west side of Phoenix. It had been 75 that afternoon and was just starting to cool down. The tops were off and the chilly air was tickling my scalp through my hair. There had been a low layer of overcast so it had been kinda grey all day. I was on an empty road heading west, The air smelled sweet and clean, the vette's motor was running like a top and the thrum of the exaust was a low counter point to the wind and the radio. When the sun dove under the cloud cover and turned the whole western sky a most incredible shade of bright peach, the rolling of the fenders and hood took on the red and pink highlights of the sunset. In that moment, nothing else existed. Just me, my little white sportscar, and gods artistry being played out on that grand celestial pallette. In that moment, I was happy. I felt, dare I say it, Joy? I laughed out loud and almost cried at the same time while a lump rose in my throat. Right then, it didn't matter that she isn't the fastest or the prettiest or the rarest. It only mattered that my vette was a part of that moment. Many wonder why so many of us cling so tightly to an aging platform that has, for the most part, been eclipsed by newer, slicker technology. Well, part of it is the emotion. Part of it is the recognition that things of true beauty will remain beautiful for all time. Hands down, no arguements, indisputable, the sting ray is one of the most beautiful bodies to ever roll down the street. Yes, there are honda's and neons and whatever econo-rice that may exist that can smoke me in just about every measurable performance test there is. But I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I would not have had the above chronicled moment in a civic. And, I'm pretty sure the Euro-tuners in all their buzz bombs won't either.
Old 02-16-2002, 04:49 AM
thamzid
Instructor

Default Re: Had a moment in my vette the other day..... (BubbaJJ)

Great story there Bubbajj. My sentiments exactly.
If you are ever down Tucson way let me know .
Later
Ken
Old 02-16-2002, 06:10 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:cheers:
Old 02-16-2002, 02:53 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Nice story BubbaJJ. That actually did bring a tear to my eye.Now I REALLY want to drive my Vette!!!! But it's SNOWING out right now :cry I probably won't take out 'till April or May with all the snow on the ground....
Old 02-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Had a moment in my vette the other day..... (mountainmotor)

As neat as the muscle car era sounds, I really think I like living now. More incentive for owning a classic sports car. Takes me back to a time that never existed for me. I can't wait to get my motor built up.. I'm sure a snappy 350 will help amplify that feeling of surrealism. BTW, good recollection Bubba(definitely wouldn't call that a "story" :) ) Something a lot of us forget when our cars taken on attitudes and try to break down or fall apart at any given moment. After blowing the motor, I lost that feeling for a long time.
-Steve
Old 02-16-2002, 08:44 PM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: Had a moment in my vette the other day..... (Pacin'California)

I hear that Pacin'. There have been times when I was ready to sell the whole thing and start over. I'm glad I set my experience down in writing. Now when I feel like throwing a lit road flare in the driver's side floorboard I can bring up this thread and remind myself why I put up with it. As a side note, can you believe it? 75 in the dead of winter. 'cept for the hot months, Phoenix rocks.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:25 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

:cool: thanks for putting into words what I think most of us feel! :) MJ
Old 02-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dude... I'm going to have to print that post and stick in the the little map holder... and just leave it there... when the next fellow that owns the car is digging through all the stuff, and finds it, he will instantly know he has latched onto one of the most inspiring vehicles ever manufactured... Three cheers to Earl, Duntov, Shinoda, and GM for making all this happen!

Lets not make this a habit, gettin' wishi-washi and all, but those words were perfect for the moment!
Old 02-17-2002, 01:04 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Bubba-
I can relate. Your story's a keeper! I hope you write for a living, if not, you missed your calling!!
Old 02-17-2002, 01:23 AM
BubbaJJ
Pro

Default Re: Had a moment in my vette the other day..... (ROD NOCK)

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I was afraid that everyone would think I was wierd. Seems like there are others that have felt this.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:40 AM
Tomcat
Intermediate

That's what makes us 'Vette owners.
We are 'Vette owners not because we own Corvettes, but we buy Corvettes because we are " 'Vette owners".
Hope that didn't sound too much like nonsense. :)

One thing that I love about my 'Vette, is that there nothing else on the road that looks even remotely like it. Even the other generations of Corvettes. And especially so those non-descript cookie-cutter cars.

Hey BubbaJJ, if you ever see Howard from Howard's Corvettes down in Phoenix, tell him 'hi' from Troy. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Had a moment in my vette the other day.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had a moment in my vette the other day.....