C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More interesting electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 12:40 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More interesting electrical issues

Sorry for all the posts on this -- this evening is getting very interesting.

Basically, my jumping ammeter miraculously stopped tonight. I found a dead, loose bulb in my guage cluster -- replaced the blub and properly inserted it in the cluster and the problem *seems* to be going away.

Now I have a new issue. With the car on, whenever I put any stress on the system, the guage moves. So, If I hit the brakes, the guage drops. If I turn on the blinker, the guage "blinks" along with my blinker.

As part of my other electrical problems I did a visual inspection on the wires and don't seem to see anything obvious.

Anyone out there experienced this problem? Why would my blinker cause my guage to move?

Thanks again!!!
Old 02-16-2002, 12:51 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: More interesting electrical issues (Corellian Corvette)

The amp guage read the amout of amperage going to the battery. As you put any draw on the electrical system there is less amperage going to the battery and the gauge will go down, as when you turn on the turn signals. Every time the turn signal light up, the gauge will go down. When the light go off, the guage will go up.
On your 99 you have a volt gauge that reads the voltage at the battery and doesn't show these variations.

Sound like the gauge is working properly.

[Modified by Pete79L82, 10:54 PM 2/15/2002]
Old 02-16-2002, 02:05 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete79L82 is right! Your gauges job is to display what's goin on with some sensitivity. As you keep an eye on it, you'll notice a 'normality' for each function that occurs. This will become a good standard to watch. And it'll help you spot trouble when deviations occur. Don't try to watch the gauges too much, keep your eyes on the road! :eek: Good Luck -Rod
Old 02-16-2002, 01:56 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corellian Corvette-You might want to check for excessive resistance in the ground line in refernce to the engine block and alt. How's everything going these days. I’m will be concentrate on autocrossing/road racing this year. I will probably not drag race this year.
Good luck,
Dan :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To More interesting electrical issues

Quick Reply: More interesting electrical issues