C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber vs Poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 04:25 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rubber vs Poly bushings

I like the idea of using poly but don't want any squeaks in the rear suspension. I'd like to use poly where it doesn't matter and rubber where it does. Which ones can i use poly in and not worry about this? I'd assume the ones on the rear spring and possibly the sway bar can be poly but what about the others? :confused:

[Modified by Marks69BB, 2:26 PM 2/15/2002]
Old 02-15-2002, 04:35 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (Marks69BB)

mark, your car is quiet enough to hear squeaks OUTSIDE the car? :eek: man, i can't get past all the squeaks and rattles on the inside. then there is the engine, exhaust and wind noise. i've never heard the squeaks from my suspension (while driving the car). all my suspension parts are poly but i have never heard any of the squeaks (if there are any) from the bushings. maybe others have experience to contradict this but it is my theory that any squeaks you MAY have now won't be nearly as annoying as five years from now when the rubber bushings have rotted out and you have metal on metal clanging. :D
Old 02-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly bushings from Performance Suspension have graffite impregnated into them to reduce squeeks. (so they say) They also recommend greasing up the components during install wherever friction occurs. For easy jobs, you could include poly rear stabilizer and front sway bar bushings to your list!! Harder jobs would include front A-arms and trailing arm bush. Good Luck! :D :D
Old 02-15-2002, 05:37 PM
a69vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (Silvr77)

I have used some of PST's polygraphite on my car, but Van Steel would NOT use them for the trailing arms. Polygraphite can be difficult to put in. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Rick
Old 02-15-2002, 05:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (a69vette)

I've got the poly bushings in mine and with all the exhaust noise and other noise I never hear them. I lubed them and even at low speed I've never had them squeak
Old 02-15-2002, 08:04 PM
robert kirk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also use poly on my 71. never heard sound one. i do have sidepipes and it is a vert so not much chance of hearing it. i love the feel they give the car. it feels tighter i have no data to back this up just seat of the pants feel. i used poly everywhere.robert
Old 02-15-2002, 08:16 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (robert kirk)

I'm using all poly, no squeaks at all. If you use them run down to a marine or boating store and get a tube of marine grease, it's much cheaper than the stuff the suspension places try to sell you, lube them up with that. Money saving tip brought to you by Guldstrand.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (C3 Shark Tank)

I greased my trailing arm poly bushings with Red Line synthetic grease. They have been in service for 4 or 5 years, now, and never make any noise.

I have a very old set of poly bushings in my front A arms. I didn't grease them way back when I put them in, and they have always scrunched. I only hear it when I go over a speed bump. They're about to be replaced with VB&P A-arms with new poly bushings. I note grease on the bushings.

-Noel
Old 02-15-2002, 11:59 PM
topless68
Melting Slicks

I guess I'll play devil's advocate on this one a bit, but I'm kind of a factory original guy. Anyhow, It's funny, I just pulled my body off of my '68 and just about every factory bushing was still in tact, both front and rear suspension. Granted, they had run their course...but get real guys, you rebuild the suspension and the car will sit in the garage 325 days out of the year. I doubt if new rubber parts will wear out in five years.

:seeya
Old 02-16-2002, 02:38 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (topless68)

topless, your car sits in the garage 325 days a year? what fun is that? mine sits in the drive way when i'm not thrashing it on the streets ( :eek: ) or on the auto-x course :D poly is a must! :yesnod:
Old 02-16-2002, 04:00 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (clutchdust)

Poly bushings should come with that space age lube. Its really tacky and lasts a very long time. Ive never seen anything like it before. It came with the kit from Energy susp. Very sticky stuff. They give you just barely enough.
Old 02-16-2002, 03:19 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (topless68)

get real guys, you rebuild the suspension and the car will sit in the garage 325 days out of the year
Not. I didn't get 218 grand miles on my car by leaving it sit.

To paraphrase an old favorite commercial: "I don't want a car you look at, I want a car you DRIVE!" :flag

-Noel
Old 02-17-2002, 07:05 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Energy Susp poly graphite in front and VB poly in rear - no squeaks after 12 months.

Go poly.
:cheers:
Old 02-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Rubber vs Poly bushings (Jvette73)

Well, I'm sorta a believer in what came outa the factory could always be made better. I used Energy Suspensions poly's and lubed them with the grease supplied and have no squeaks. I'm also using poly's on the front sway bar without any lube and still no squeaks! :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber vs Poly bushings

Quick Reply: Rubber vs Poly bushings