C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken exhaust manifold stud:(:(:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 12:19 AM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken exhaust manifold stud:(:(:(

Well due to $ constraints..I am going to order the dual baffled exhaust system from Mid america...Tonight I decided to remove what was left of my exhaust..I was able to remove the nuts on the driverside using a torch no problem....But on the passengers side I got alll out except for the last one that snapped right at the nut(There is about 2 inches of stud left)....Here is my question How do I change that stud???...How big of a pain is it going to be??? :smash: ..What are the chances I can get all the studs out to replace..:smash: .....Or Am I even going to have to...If the kit I am ordering has me removing the heat riser on the passengers side..I should have plenty of stud left :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: ....Anyone using the Mid America baffled dual exhaust....Does the kit require you to remove the heat riser???

Thanks in advance for al the help
Old 02-15-2002, 01:53 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Broken exhaust manifold stud:(:(:( (BADCAIMAN)

You should be able to get the stud out with no problem. Your main issue is you may not have enough room to put vise-grips on it to turn it. You also don't need a heat riser, but you will have to get like a heat riser spacer or substitute as the right manifold if I'm correct in remembering this won't have the "angled" outlet for a donut gasket that the heat riser has. You can also gut your own heat riser and weld up the holes from the butterfly pin. You may not be able to safely heat that area around the stud with the manifold "on the car" depending on what else that broken stud is close to. You SHOULD be able to, but you'll have to be very careful when attempting this on the car. I've had true dual exhaust on my '75 with the heat riser spacer for the last 13 years now and it's still great!!!
Old 02-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You could borrow a stud extractor. They grip very well.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:29 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You could remove the manifold and take it to a muff shop to remove the stud. If you have a torch and an extractor you could do the same thing though. They have other studs to replace yours. Or you could do what I did and toss the heat riser. You will have to weld a 2" extension in your header pipe to mate to the header though to fill the gap left. Hope you get it out. :cheers:
Old 02-15-2002, 10:35 AM
jbs75
Instructor

I would soak the stud for acouple days with either kano kroil, or pb' blaster. exhaust manifolds are cast and you don't want to break the flange; unless you need an excuse for headers! you might be able to thread some nuts, or a nut and weld the end then use an impact wrench(on low setting) to break the rust and shoot with more kroill.

Jim
Old 02-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy am I glad you posted this topic :D I got "SIX" frozen, rusted studs that I am going to fight with this weekend. I had to cut them to drop the exhaust, and I fear the manifolds will have to come out for their removal. Lot's of good advise above for me too!! :D :D :D Good Luck with yours!! :cheers:
Old 02-15-2002, 11:17 AM
jvm
Racer

Default Re: Broken exhaust manifold stud:(:(:( (jbs75)

Kroil is the way to go let it set overnight, worked for me

Get notified of new replies

To Broken exhaust manifold stud:(:(:(

Quick Reply: Broken exhaust manifold stud:(:(:(