C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Dynomax Headers

Old 02-14-2002, 06:32 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP - Dynomax Headers

I'm having some "issues" with clearance, for some reason, they seem to be too long on the left side of the engine, they are touching the steering rag joint. Its rubbing on the metal flanges of the rag joint, i was wondering if i could just file those down a bit, but would this make the joint weak to the point it may not be safe? they don't seem to be overly functional, just a bent up metal plate that alows it to flex. Any suggestions? Thanks :)
Old 02-14-2002, 06:45 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: HELP - Dynomax Headers (VETDRMS)

Put a small dent in the header with a pipe to clear joint, best not to mess with steering components. :eek:Good luck. :cheers:
Old 02-14-2002, 10:34 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Be careful. You may not want to modify the headers just yet. I got 2 seperate sets of Dynomax headers from Jeg's, and both of them were wrong for the car. The first one had two left headers (duh!), and the second one had a left header that looked good, but the right one came out in a completely different location that was too high in the car to attach exhaust to. It's possible you have a wrong header. Just something you might want to consider before you put a dent in it.

AC
Old 02-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: HELP - Dynomax Headers (A C)

I agree, got to be the wrong dynos. The only place mine are tight is by the bolts that hold the steering tie rods. It's on the other side.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Which Dynomax headers did you get? What is the primary size? I've heard a lot of good things about the $209 ceramic coated ones. Haven't heard of anyone having trouble, at least till now.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:41 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a slight clearance problem with mine. The problem was at the steering box itself. Ground a little from the side of the box and put a dimple in the header.

It seems that every car is slightly different.
Old 02-15-2002, 04:01 AM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP - Dynomax Headers (glen242)

I had a slight clearance problem with mine. The problem was at the steering box itself. Ground a little from the side of the box and put a dimple in the header.

It seems that every car is slightly different.
I had the same problem, its in the rag-joint too, do you have the ceramic coated ones? Isn't it NOT good to bend or dent the ceramic? Have to get this done by sunday, it goes in to have the exhuast done on monday :confused:

Thanks for all the input!
Old 02-15-2002, 07:26 AM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Dyno-Max Ceramic 1 5/8's. But, I don't know if there are any broblems yet because I have my heads off. That would REALLY **** my off when I go to put everything back together, and the headers don't fit. I hope I got the right ones.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:14 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: HELP - Dynomax Headers (Aaron-74)

If Dynomax headers has clearance problems, then I'm definitely inclined to get the Hedman headers. Just wish the Hedman's were coated inside too (just outside) coming from Jegs (that pushes header cost over $400). Jet-Hot will sell the same Hedmans for over $500 coated inside/out. Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-15-2002, 09:40 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I put mine on last weekend and the only area where it's tight is where a tube passes under the Z-bar for the clutch. It has a little clearance but I'm afraid that if the engine rocks it's going to hit. I might remove the Z-bar again this weekend and dimple the pipe a little where it passes under to get a little more clearance.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:12 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: HELP - Dynomax Headers (vettfixr)

I had no clearance issues with my Dynomax headers at all
Old 02-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure they are loose & see if you can move around for clearance. Would probably "adjust" it some, maybe w/ a file however would be better to see it. Have e-mailed Jim Shea, st. expert, this topic link.

Aaron-74

You could post your pic. again to make sure he has the right ones.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:10 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: HELP - Dynomax Headers (Ganey)

I'm not sure exactly what part of the flexible coupling is hitting your header tube. If you go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering there is a picture entitled Flex Coupling Pics. Most of the parts of the flex coupling are called out. I suspect that you might be refering to the Capturing Strap. Try to define the interference more clearly.

One other thing, the rubber coupling disc (called a wafer in the picture) does not like excessive heat. It obviously is going to be very close to the header pipes. You will have to keep an eye on that rubber part because it will deteriorate with time and temperature.
Old 02-16-2002, 03:46 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VETDRMS:

Ya, I have the ceramic coated headers. I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Put the ball end where you want to dimple and smack the other end with a small sledge. Works well and did not screw up the coating.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Also check motor mounts. Make sure the engine is not sitting cockeyed in the saddle. If it is, headers are more likely to have clearence problems. Good time to switch to poly eurathane mounts, when the manifolds are off.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP - Dynomax Headers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP - Dynomax Headers