C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York State Emissions inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 05:17 PM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New York State Emissions inspection

I pulled this off the NYS DMV website: http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c-50.htm

The Emissions Inspection

Most gasoline powered vehicles are required to have a yearly emissions inspection, which will be done at the same time as the safety inspection. Vehicles that fail to comply with inspection standards will be rejected.

Vehicles exempt from the emissions inspection are: vehicles manufactured for- the current model year or are one model year old, vehicles 26 model-years old or older, vehicles registered with historical or vintage plates, vehicles that are electric powered, and vehicles with diesel engines. Beginning June 1, 1999, diesel-powered vehicles over 8,500 Pounds will be subject to annual emissions inspection or random roadside inspection, depending on where they, are registered in the state.

A High Enhanced emissions inspection is required for vehicles registered in the nine county New York Metropolitan Area (NYMA) of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, and the five counties within New York City, The purpose of this inspection is to measure the amount of hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen, and carbon monoxide pollutants coming from the vehicle exhaust. The High Enhanced emissions inspection includes a Simulated driving condition test (on a dynamometer) for gasoline powered vehicles, 1981 model year and newer, that weigh 8,500 pounds or fewer. An "idle emissions test" (engine at idle only) is required for gasoline powered vehicles that weigh more than 8,500 Pounds, are less than 26 model years old, and were manufactured for the 1980 model vear or- older.

A Low Enhanced inspection is required for vehicles registered in counties outside this area. Vehicles registered in counties within the Low Enhanced inspection area are not subject to the sit-simulated driving condition test or the idle emissions test.

In all areas of the state, the High Enhanced and Low Enhanced emissions inspections require a check for the presence and connection of required pollution control devices. The vehicle's gas cap is also checked for its presence, condition, and proper fit. In addition, an "on-board diagnostic" (OBD) check is required for vehicles of model year 1996 and newer-. The inspection station is required to advise the Customer about the OBD check results, but cannot fail the vehicle's inspection based on those findings.

:confused: This is where it gets confusing :confused:

The following pollution control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them. The vehicle model years affected are indicated.

Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - 1968 and newer.
Catalytic converter (CAT) - 1975 and newer.
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer.
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - 1973 and newer.
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer.
Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer.
Evaporative emission control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer.

If cars 26 years or older are exempt, why do they list emissions equipment back to 1968? Wouldn't that have gone away around 1994?
Old 02-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Xracer
Safety Car

Default Re: New York State Emissions inspection (JohnS_77)

John,

We have to have all the stuff period as far as I know. If it came on the car it has to be there. But I will get with my garage guys and find out for sure.

Joe
Old 02-14-2002, 05:37 PM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New York State Emissions inspection (Xracer)

Joe,

Show them one of these:

And say "maybe this will change your mind!!"
Old 02-14-2002, 06:26 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

A really good friend is much better than a handful of cash when dealing with
Im240 inspection!

1 hoo nose
Old 02-14-2002, 06:33 PM
tictocdok
Racer

The reality of it is, they gotcha coming and going! best thing to do is ask around at cruise night and car shows. somebody knows a fair instector who will take care of you. never go to an repair shop that is a chain/franchise as all their techs are on commission and looking for every chnce they get to run up the bill. find an independant station and most guys will realize your car is a part time summer ride and as long as the safety stuff is good, the little stuff gets overlooked. it doesn't hurt to trake along an extra six-pack too. :D
Old 02-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

John, I take my car to a Mobil station in Pittsford and they have only checked the safety requirements on my car (Brakes, lights, wipers, etc...). They have never looked under the hood. OK, after the inspection they ask to see under the hood. They say my car is exempt from the emission check. This is not a friend, nor was it recommended to go there because they were easy. I just went there because I needed an inspection and they took my money. Maybe the rules have changed for 2002 and I need to make sure I put back on the requirements for that day. Rod :cheers:

[Modified by Red73, 5:38 PM 2/15/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Signal
Advanced

Wow, I was looking up the exact same thing today!!...I was looking here: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#einspect
Until I just read your post about the other site (also on the page I referenced but didn't bother to look at) I was all excited thinking that starting next year I would not have to worry about the headers and no cats on the car...Now I'm not sure anymore...What it could mean is that they still do the visual to see that the cats etc. are still there on '74 (?)and newer Vettes that originally came with them but they DON'T hook up one of those meters to the exhaust pipes and test the car while it's running...Just my guess anyways...Like others have said the smaller shops usually don't care as much about the underhood stuff, it's just the cats that can be a big deal to them...I really hope we are totally exempt though!!...I hate all this emissions testing for our cars because everyone knows that emissions equipment from the '70's are a joke...They were more like a last minute ban aide than anything else...Even my father who's worked in the automotive industry for most of his life said that guys who came in with big blocks properly tuned ran cleaner that some cars with emissions equipment! :eek: Ok, enough of that rant!...*LOL*...What I'd like to know now is if my guess is correct and they do the visual only, is it possible to put two small cats on the exhaust and keep them happy??...I'd have no problem with that if someone makes small enough cats that can hook up to our cars with duel exhaust...Of course if the stock exhaust system wasn't so darn restrictive I could live without headers and duel exhaust...That stock cat on there was pretty huge if I remember right!...*LOL*...The only reason I put the headers on was because one of my manifold gaskets blew out and it was just as cheap to buy headers and get a custom duel exhaust...I know in some Vette catalogs they have the stock setup in a 2 1/2 inch higher flow pipes which I may be forced into looking at if duel cats are going to be a problem...

Jason

P.S.--I didn't know there were fellow western New Yorkers on the board! :) You guys ever run at New York International Speedway?...I'm usually there quite a few times each year, nice track!...
Old 02-14-2002, 08:37 PM
tictocdok
Racer

Jason,
yes, have run at NYIRP and always go watch the Nationals! Sometime this summer we should schedule a vetteforum meet and blow the MOM's guys off the track :blueangel:
Old 02-14-2002, 08:39 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New York State Emissions inspection (Signal)

You may be exempt for TESTING, but you are not exempt from STATE and FEDERAL laws which states that it is illegal to modify, remove or otherwise disable pollution reduction equipment.

All the exemption does is make it easier to do those above things because they dont check it every year.

Old 02-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: New York State Emissions inspection (fauxrs)

John,
Let me get this straight. If I register my 80 shark with vintage of historic plates it is exempt from an emission inspection?? What are the requirements for those plates?? If you don't know don't worry about it I'll call DMV and find out. I dread that dammed inspection every year. Every year it's always some problem. Last year the guy failed me for being a % off on the hydro carbons. When I brought it to another station I tweeked the quadrajet a bit and....bang, she passed. Thanks for the info. L8TER, Paul.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:19 PM
Signal
Advanced

Default Re: New York State Emissions inspection (tictocdok)

Tictocdok--Yes a Vetteforum meeting would be very cool!...I'm not much into clubs but a forum meeting at NYIRP would be way cool...I have always loved that track and most people there are very friendly...The officials are cool and most of the car owners are pretty willing to talk about their cars if you ask them...As far as blowing the MOMs guys off the track though, I just don't think I'll be doing much of that!...*LOL*...Heck last time I had the '77 there I lost to a VW Jetta, dammit!...*LOL* :) Oh well, I plan to put a much hotter engine and high stall converter in it sometime in the future...And yes I always try to make the street nationals too, seems like EVERYONE shows up for that!...Even a red Viper sometimes!...If I can I will try to make the opening day at the track too this year, even if just to watch...

:)

Jason
Old 02-14-2002, 11:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The laws get confusing. The thing is that some emissions related items are checked at a safety inspection. These include the items you mention: PCV, Catalytic converter etc.

Above this some counties also have specific emissions programs that use sniffers, dynos etc.

So by having an older car or classic plates means you're exempt from the emissions test, but you still have to pass the safety check, which includes some basic emissions items.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:12 AM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

Tictocdok--Yes a Vetteforum meeting would be very cool!. :)
That would be cool! We could run the cars, then have everybody over to my house for a BBQ. I have a keg server...
Old 02-15-2002, 04:44 PM
gabesWHITE77
Advanced

John did you show them a 20$ bill or all four of them??? Some moron wanted to charge me 100$ without even trying the inspection first. My Vette is registered upstate NY where they don't even know what emissions are and inpections are only 14$! So once a year I take a 200 mile excursion to get a little sticker and BS about how I should not be driving the car around. If you are in the metro area, where I am go to an old shop owned by an older dude, they'll understand. :D

[Modified by gabesWHITE77, 2:45 PM 2/15/2002]
Old 02-15-2002, 06:49 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Orange Country and they have never done an emissions check here. They only check safety equipment.

The last two years when I got my vette inspected I took it to two different places. In both, the guys said, "hey, nice car", - and slapped a sticker on it without as much as turning on a light. :D
Old 02-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Signal
Advanced

Johns_77--Hey that sounds pretty good man! :) A nice day at the track and some good food afterwards!...

Actually I have not had problems with the '77 passing inspection yet but I know that some places, even around here, can be pretty strict...I just wish that cars as old as the C3 only had to meet safety and noise level requirements...I mean these cars are classics now! :) Besides, the government is going to mandate hydrogen powered cars in the future anyways so why the big fuss over cars that are such a small percentage of those on the road??? :rolleyes:

Jason :)

[Modified by Signal, 8:47 PM 2/15/2002]
Old 02-16-2002, 08:19 AM
Purplerainz
Melting Slicks

one time I had to replace the carb to pass in queens NYC, my local sunoco garage guy does it for me and now passes every time. thought 2003 was the last emmission test for my 78sa, was also hoping to remove the two little cats on the dual exhaust but now it's saying two more years to be exempt? and last year it stated 25 year old car was.

not sure what are the 5 counties they mentioned, cause in metro NYC we have 5 boroughs(brooklyn,bronx,queens,manhattan ,staten island) .

wonder if they meant long island , westchester, white plains, yonkers etc..
sucks :confused:

[Modified by Purplerainz, 6:30 AM 2/16/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To New York State Emissions inspection

Quick Reply: New York State Emissions inspection