C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wandering Idle- suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 01:07 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wandering Idle- suggestions?

Still trying to dial in the new setup (Trick Flow 23 deg heads, Dynomax coated headers, Performer RPM AirGap intake, Performer 600 cfm carb). When it runs, it runs great! Really pulls at high RPMs, and I'm going to experiment with some metering rod and jet changes to get it just right. The problem is with my idle. With the engine warm, the idle will cycle between about 1000 rpm and 600 rpm. It will run at the high end for about five seconds, then drop down to the low end for five, then back up-- continuously. Since I have come to realize that almost every idle problem is vacuum related, I'm trying to find a vacuum leak. Other than that, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks. :cheers:
Old 02-14-2002, 01:27 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Wandering Idle- suggestions? (thebruce)

Try a new gasket under the carb, very cheap thing to try helped on mine.

Is your L82 a 350 if so your setup is pretty close to mine if it has flat top pistons. What cam and how much HP do you think you are getinng ?
Old 02-14-2002, 06:01 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Wandering Idle- suggestions? (MotorHead)

Motorhead-

I haven't dyno'd the car yet (don't know if I ever will, for that matter) but frmo what I can tell from all information I could gather, once it is tunes it should be in the neighborhood of 400 HP. Don't know how much that will give me at the rear wheels, but I know it's nowhere close to perfect yet and it definitely puts me back into the seat when I get into it. That's with a messed up idle setting, a possible vacuum leak, and at least one valve that badly needs an adjustment. I put $15 el cheapo turbo mufflers on my new 2.5" exhaust system and it sound fantastic. I'm sure I'd get more ooomph with FlowMasters or some other high performance muffler, but I like low cost stuff now that I have broken the bank on the heads, intake, and headers. Almost forgot-- I'm running the CompCams XE-268.

What is your setup?

[Modified by thebruce, 4:02 PM 2/14/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 08:29 PM
inqbus383
Instructor

Default Re: Wandering Idle- suggestions? (thebruce)

It could be something to do with your idle mixture, maybe a little lean. Try just capping your main vacuum port and running it with no vacuum accessories.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:30 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Wandering Idle- suggestions? (inqbus383)

A friend of mine is having that problem with his challenger. He thinks its a worn distributor.

Get notified of new replies

To Wandering Idle- suggestions?

Quick Reply: Wandering Idle- suggestions?