C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new guy needs answers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 12:29 PM
BigAlex
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new guy needs answers!

Just picked up a '73 for a reasonable price. The car is pretty well optioned and also it appears to have been well cared for. Now for the bad point-REAL BAD! Although there is no evidence of a major collision, at some point the front clip was replaced. The alignment of the fenders seems to be just slightly far away from the doors and rocker mouldings. I can't be sure but I believe this is an aftermarket piece if that tips anyone off. In addition any thoughts as to a course of action? Is it possible to remove the front clip/break the bonds without destroying it? Like I said, the car is in good condition otherwise, and it drives great . All input is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Another new guy needs answers! (BigAlex)

Sure would like to see some pics of the front end before I comment... These things are not know for their superior fit and finish... Or, to put it another way, they are known for poor fit and finish. You may just be looking a typical situation, especially since there's no other evidence of a wreck.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:41 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Another new guy needs answers! (BigAlex)

My 75 has an embarrassing gap between the front fender and the door. This car from new belonged to my co worker then myself and it was never in an accident. The fit on these cars is not that great. I would have to add to the leading edge of the door or the back of the fender. Someday when I repaint the car I will do this.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Another new guy needs answers! (norvalwilhelm)

Yeah, my '75 had the same problem that Norval describes. I can live with the driver's side, but I built-up the passenger side using several coats of epoxy/filler on the fender. I put a smooth piece of slip-on trim that you get at an auto parts store onto the door (after it was coated with wax), put a piece of duct tape onto the backside of the fender where the gap was too big and mixed a stiff mixture of WEST systems with cotton fibre filler. The epoxy went up to the trim (which provides about 1/8" gap) and I waited for it to harden. Just sanded it down and used a bit of body filler. It's not finished yet but I think it'll look OK.

I just had the thought that maybe the doors aren't adjusted properly on yours. You can adjust the doors in all directions to optimize any gaps, so if you're too tight on back it can be moved forward.

Get notified of new replies

To Another new guy needs answers!

Quick Reply: Another new guy needs answers!