C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 05:16 AM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible.

I am looking at a car that this guy says is a 70 LT-1 ZR-1 car. They only made 25 of these.

1.The black book states that there were 25 ZR-1's and 25 M-22's. The ZR-1's came w/ M-22's, so does that mean that the 25 M-22's ordered were above and beyond the ones installed in the ZR-1 cars? Totaling 50 M-22's in 70?

2. Could any of the ZR-1 cars have come w/ the "L-88-LT-1" looking hood that eliminates the wiper door? This car's hood is a L-88/LT-1 style hood that has a G.M. part # and stamp and actually eliminates the wiper door. The owner claims that some of these ZR-1 cars came w/ this special LT-1 hood.

3. ANYMORE TINY DETAILS OR WHATEVER YOU GOT, PLEASE BE KIND!!!! :seeya

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 02-14-2002, 08:12 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible. (livin)

From what I know of ZR-1s. The exterior of a ZR-1 and LT-1 were identical except the ZR-1 came without trim rings or center caps. The ZR-1 had the HD brakes and sway bars that the LT-1 did not have.
70 ZR-1 engine code CTV
71 ZR-1 engine code CGY
72 ZR-1 engine code CKZ
In my opinion this guy is trying to see you snake oil. Run and don't look back.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible.

Jacob,

From the exterior, there is little to differentiate a ZR-1 from a "regular" LT-1. There will be no antenna since the ZR-1 could not be ordered with a radio.

There SHOULD be trim rings and center caps. Several years ago, someone who restored one of these cars took the restriction of "no wheel covers" to mean none at all (what the restriction referred to was that the P02 wheel covers could not be ordered). After that, it was a case of "follow the leader"... Even though the leader was wrong in this instance. I think you'll find that most of the ZR-1 cars now have the trim rings and center caps installed again. :)

The hood will be the same as any other LT-1. What you are seeing is most certainly a later style replacement hood. Wiper doors and actuators are VERY costly to replace.

The engine broadcast code for the 1970 ZR-1 was "CTV"... This engine used the same large capacity oil pan as the early 1970 "CTU" LT-1s, but did not have ignition shielding (since there was no radio). The rest of the engine was standard 1970 LT-1 fare including the transistorize ignition.

The 1970 ZR-1 used an aluminum radiator with a metal shroud and a seperate aluminum overflow tank. The standard 1970 LT-1 used a copper radiator with a plastic fan shroud and no overflow tank.

The M-22 heavy duty, close ratio four speed manual was the required transmission. With regard to your question, I'm willing to bet that the 25 units listed were those installed in the ZR-1s, not an additional 25 units on top of the ZR-1s. However, I can't say for certain and I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite was eventually found to be true.

While not listed as individual options in 1970, the following were part of the ZR-1 package.

The ZR-1 option required J-50/J-56 heavy duty power brakes which were identical to what was used on 1968-69 L-88s... Dual pin front calipers, special front pads, front caliper supports, etc.

The F-41 suspension was also required. In the ZR-1, it did NOT include a rear sway bar even though the option description listed one. The remaining parts (high rate springs, special shocks) were the same as previous years. It also included heavy duty strut support shafts which provided clearance for the larger rear shock absorbers

The following options were restricted and not available when the ZR-1 was ordered: power steering, power windows, automatic transmission, air conditioning, full wheel covers (discussed earlier), radio, and rear window defroster (odd since 1969 L-88s were available with this option).

The above information is true for 1970 ZR-1s... There are some variations between 1970-72. I've probably forgotten something, but I'm sure that others will fill in the blanks.

If you are seriously considering buying a ZR-1, I would recommend that you do your homework and by all means, take someone along that knows these cars inside and out... It is VERY easy to "build" a ZR-1 if one is so inclined.

Good luck!

Regards,
Old 02-14-2002, 01:18 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible. (Rowdy Rat)

I'm calling :bs on the hood. The hoods were normal big block/ LT-1 hoods.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:18 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible. (MikeC)

I agree, hood is replacement. Stan has the info right. I do however have a friend with a 72 LT1 with original M22 or so he says number all match. Things could be done back then that are impossible today, not likely however. Raise the BS flag, if otherwise good car and you like price, buy it and enjoy. :cheers:
Old 02-15-2002, 05:35 AM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible. (LT1driver)

Thanks a bunch,

Stan, I really appreciate all of your well composed knowledge. Thanks!!!

I really think this car is a LT-1/ZR-1 :cool: The radio delete was filled by the second owner, and he also screwed up the metal shroud and replaced it with a plastic radiator shroud. However, everything else appears to be right on :) The M-22, Dual caliper Brakes, F-41, eng. codes. The car is well documented, it is just totally modified, fender flares, L-88 style Hood, 15x10's and 9's with B.F. Goodrich 50's, special leather, chromed side-pipes. The paint and interior color have been changed. The story seems to check out as well, and the original owners can all be contacted back to the first 3 owners and I will hopefully be the fourth. The car is a total show car, its not original, and its not NCRS or Bloomington, but it is sooooo :cool: :cool: :cool:
I am going to call all of the owners and look at the engine codes myself, If it is a LT-1/ZR-1 than alright, alright, alright!!!!!!! if not then I will pass... :)
LATER,
Jacob

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Need as much info about 70-72 ZR-1's as possible.