C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in a C4 to C3 Differential Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:51 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in a C4 to C3 Differential Conversion?

I've been talking with Carl Shuhi of VettePartsOnline, and (given that I've blown up several differentials), we're thinking of developing a conversion to fit a Dana 44 C4 rear housing into a 1980-82, replacing the paper-thin aluminum cased stock units with something with real meat in the case, and thus able to handle more torque.

Given that the more typical conversion is to mate a cast iron earlier C3 differential to the '80-'82 crossmember/rear cover, I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in this kind of C4 conversion.

Seems to me the C4 conversion would be of a lighter weight than the iron approach, and there are ratios available for the C4 differential (e.g., 2.xx gears) that have been traditionally hard to come by for the iron units.

Sound interesting? Your thoughts? I know I want one.

-Noel
Old 02-14-2002, 01:29 AM
mountainshark76
Instructor

Default Re: Interested in a C4 to C3 Differential Conversion? (Noel Carboni)

I think it's a :cool: idea and the c4 alum. diff. can be polished also :cool:
Old 02-14-2002, 01:57 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

. . . we're thinking of developing a conversion to fit a Dana 44 C4 rear housing into a 1980-82, replacing the paper-thin aluminum cased stock units with something with real meat in the case, and thus able to handle more torque. . .
Where exactly on the case has it been failing? Could gussets be welded in strategic locations to strengthen the stock unit?

Gotta admit, a C4 suspension would be cool! Seems like I remember one of the forum members saying that the battery compartment etc. would interfere with this conversion.
A few of the C3 guys on this forum are pretty knowledgeable on this subject. I just contemplate, speculate, and dream about such modifications. :D
Old 02-14-2002, 07:03 AM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Interested in a C4 to C3 Differential Conversion? (MIKER)

Where exactly on the case has it been failing?
Haven't got any pix handy, but the first one split into 3 pieces on a hard shift. The second one broke a bunch of teeth, then when Carl tried to rebuild it he found the case too distorted to fit the new gears in. The third one we shot peened, and so far its been doing better, but I think I taught myself to go a little easier on it. :cry

-Noel
Old 02-14-2002, 08:11 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Noel, I don't think you would gain but about 30 some odd pounds for going to the earlier iron version....only differance would be the case/cover...might just be easier, BUT,....hummmm....well might as well look into that C4 thing myself...goes along with all rest of my car....eh???

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Interested in a C4 to C3 Differential Conversion?

Quick Reply: Interested in a C4 to C3 Differential Conversion?