C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Throwing this out there to see what most "Vetters" would or would not put up with.
Well had this engine builder rebuild my L-82 close to ZZ4 specs (as far as HP/ torque go) and another guy do the
R/R. The builder delivered what I asked a rebuilt long block. The installer needed only to attach the intake/carb oil
pan, exhaust etc. and tune. Well I got it back just before I deployed :flag :flag and it had an oil pan leak and
they let a jack handle fall on my nose of my brand new 3K paint job. Well the paint touch-up got quoted for $400
and they agreed and then "attempted" another oil pan repair that leaked the next day. :mad :mad. Unfortunetly I
could not follow up until I returned six-months later. Well I took it to a 2nd person who is a hot rod builder and aside
from other mods :D he fixed the oil leak and other items which the original R/R guy should have done right the 1st time.
Okay I forgave them for the leaks and let by gons be by gons, now the paint no way, I'm still pissed 6 months later.
They said after threats of small claims court they have their own painter, F$%# THAT!! So I have to go tommorow
and see the owner to settle this. I am asking for my original paint estimate at my painter but part of me wants to throw
the book at these guys and itemize everything I have had to get "re-worked". One is easier and the car is done :cheers: :cheers:
The other involves court and I hate being vindictive but they have been a pain in my a$% for a year :cry
What you think, cut my loses and get it over or try to "get over" on these a-holes
LESSON LEARNED- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR NEVER GO TO THE CHEAPEST GUY, YOU HAVE TO GO BACK AGAIN
AND AGAIN. :nono:
Old 02-13-2002, 11:51 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (Cali,77,L-82)

Nail their (_|_)'s to the wall!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:04 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

The bottom line is, it's a matter of time and money. How much of each do you want to throw at this situation to resolve to your content? Court action can go on and on...and the costs can escalate as well. (remember Murphys Law?) My opinion is to resolve it quickly and move on with your life. You've stated you already learned your lesson on choosing services such as this. Good Luck in your decision -Rod
Old 02-14-2002, 12:28 AM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (Golden80)

Nail their (_|_)'s to the wall!
:smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 02-14-2002, 12:31 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (topless68)

Hang 'em High! :smash: :yesnod:
Cruz
Old 02-14-2002, 12:59 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (Cruzmeisters)

Well I decided since my painter had such a hard time doing the Vette the first time and it came out like show quality
that I will stick with him as he will take care of me. I forgot to mention there are other minute scratches on the nose from rocks and he would cover that for no extra cash while this second rate bozo the engine guy wants to send me to will probably 1. not match the paint right and 2. not cover the addtional areas on the nose. Well here goes. P.S. the small claims court/ better business threat should do some good. Hell I can itemize an aditional $1100.00 in associated costs.

Keep rollin on :chevy
Old 02-14-2002, 01:18 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Don'tcha just hate that CRAP! :mad
Something tells me that you are not going to be able to reason with these knuckle heads so that will probly leave you with two options. Walk away with a lesson learned or spend a considerable amount of resources in time and money trying to penalize them. Most of us would hope that you poke it to 'em but YOU have to decide if it is really worth your mental and financial effort.
At the very least, ask the guy how many customers he thinks that you will need to warn off from his business to equal what it would cost for him to simply make your deal right? :yesnod:
Old 02-14-2002, 09:10 AM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (MIKER)

Thats a tough situation, i don't think i would bring my vette back to them. :cool: :cheers: :seeya .........
Old 02-14-2002, 01:41 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Look at it as a negotiation. If they want their painter and you ask for $400 for your painter they will expect to pay for something in between. So, go in with the itemized bill ready. Tell them this is what you intend to file in an action but to avoid all the hassle which will only cost both of you time, you are willing to settle now, (i.e. today) for the $400.00 and you will give them a release on the other claims (also have this ready to hand them.) This assumes of course that you really don't want to go after them on the other stuff. Remember, if you do go to court the judge would probably need to look at the fact that you actually didn't return the car to give them an opportunity to get it right so you may not get those monetary damages anyway.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (R. Bruno)

I would take it to small claims court and get my damages
Old 02-14-2002, 05:20 PM
vettes
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If u like your painter,stick to your guns and have him do it!
Old 02-14-2002, 06:01 PM
woodenichols
Racer

Default Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (vettes)

I'm kind of in the same situation exept I have been out closer to $2300 on a rebuilt motor that the mechanic forgot to torque the rod caps on! My attorney advises that he will gladly sue and I will probably prevail BUT, the man is probably judgement proof and the end result is I will never get a single dime out of him, Not to mention the money expended for litigation! I don't know, I still think it is a matter of principle! :cheers:
Old 02-14-2002, 06:16 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Some thoughts (I'm a Marine and I go to law school at USC, so I'm very sympathetic)--

Write a letter to the manager/owner of the shop indicating that you expect them to pay for the repainting of the nose by your original painter. Attach a written estimate and refer to it in your letter.

Give them a reasonable amount of time to respond (five business days should do). If they respond by phone, ask them to put whatever they say in writing, and you need to also write them a letter summarizing what you understood their response to be.

If you are not satisfied with their response, or if they do not respond, send another letter, refer to your first letter, and tell them that you intend to take legal action by a certain date. File your claim in small claims court unless you are convinced that they are not going to give you the run-around.

For info on small claims court, check out http://www.sandiego.courts.ca.gov/su...allclaims.html

Two final things- lawyers aren't allowed in small claims court except as parties, so don't let someone convince you that you need one yet. I encourage you to get another opinion, too. Drop me an email if you have any questions-- I don't graduate until May, but I'm more than willing to help.

-Bob
robertwbruce@yahoo.com :flag
Old 02-14-2002, 06:51 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am all about revenge!! Don't let them get away with it!!! :nono:
Old 02-14-2002, 07:20 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have proof that they caused the damage to your car? What if they have three guys that say the car was like that when it came into the shop. I think that most of the front will need to be painted to blend in the color. I agree with the other post , atleast your engine is good. I lost about 2000 on a rebuild. Rule #1 is that any engine problems are not the rebuilders fault. I would only buy crate engines from GM in the future.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:22 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't take it to court. The first thing the judge is going to ask him is did he offer to make it "right". The judge is not going to let you dictate what "right" is. The judge will do that and it probably won't involve the estimate your buddy gave you. Sorry but that's the way it works in court.
Once you step in there... you are bound by the decision that is rendered.... even if it means you getting screwed. The judge doesn't care if it's a Corvette or a Celica. If this guy is offering to make it "right"... believe me the judge will go with him... because he's offering a way out. Don't let it get personal... settle out of court man to man.

Get notified of new replies

To WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Quick Reply: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?