C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 07:02 PM
t-rav
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problems!!!!

Maybe some of you carb gurus can help.

I've got a fairly new Speed Demon 650cfm carb on my '69 and had a big problem today taking it out for a spin. Seems the rear float bowl is filling up completely full and then flooding the engine. After the car died I took the air cleaner off to take a look and the rear squirters were still squirting and had begin to leak fuel onto the intake. This carb has the sight-glass viewers for the float bowls. I checked the adjustment screw for the float adjustment and it was very tight. I have driven the car maybe 1000 miles since I last adjusted it.
Does this even seem like the problem and is it just a case of adjusting the float again? Or do the bowls hang up sometimes? Or does the float level even have anything to do with the injectors still squirting after the engine is turned off?
Thanks for any responses. -T
Old 02-13-2002, 07:54 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Carb problems!!!! (t-rav)

I think this thread addresses your problem ............ http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=237416
Old 02-13-2002, 10:59 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, does this sound familiar:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=235889

I still haven't figured out what's wrong with my Road Demon but I'm shipping it out this weekend. Borrowed anothe rcarb in teh meantime and it's running great. All I did was take teh carb off to do other work on the engine then put it back on. Couldn't get it to run right afterward. Was pouring so much gas down the engine that all the plugs were fouling and flames shooting out the side exhaust (Looked kinda cool though but almost set my motorcyle on fire!) :reddevil
Old 02-14-2002, 02:43 AM
t-rav
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carb problems!!!! (78Vette-SA)

You're right, that does sound very similar. I haven't recently taken it off but I checked my visible fuel filter and there's a lot of junk in it. Looks mostly like water. So possibly it just has something in there blocking the needle or making the bowl stick. I'll probably just take it off and give it a good cleaning.

This is the weird part though. The last few times I have run it, it has been very rough and wants to die when you get going in low rpm's. But today, when this flooding happened, it was running beautifully just before it flooded itself. And this was only about a three block ride. Is it possible that I have the carburetor so out of tune that when something like this happened it actually temporarily helped it???

Confused and wish I was better with carbs..... :confused:
Old 02-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

If it has water in the bowl, then it is probably sucking it from the tank. This is a sign that you have at least a quart of water in the bottom of your tank. It's very hard to see because it just sits under the fuel. As the fuel sloshes in the bowl, the water under the fuel momentarily gets to the fuel circuits to cause poor/rough engine performance. As the fuel sloshes in the tank, the water gets sucked up un little increments and fed to the carb. Had it happen in my 70 and it took me years to figure it out. The water was getting in past the seal at the fuel filler... the drain was plugged. Ended up having to buy a new tank as well. Just a possibility on the water issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb problems!!!!

Quick Reply: Carb problems!!!!