C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 12:37 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update

Well,
As the cold winter weather came upon us in the North East region, I had finally gotten the end carbs put on the intake. I initially set up the center carb with out the end carbs on, using plywood as block off plates. Just before I put the car away for the winter, I was battling the cold, a terrible rear end shake, as well as trying to sort out the throttle cable and center carb linkage so that when the gas pedal is mashed all the way to the floor, that end carbs were kicking in all the way. I was able to cheat the center carb and end carb adjustments to get all the end carbs opened up, but the center carb then wasn't opened all the way. In that configuration, the car was terrible from a stand still start, but really pulled strong at mid range to top end. From the recent Hot Rod magazine and Rod & Custom articles I have read about their tests with the three deuce intake. They claim that the intake works well up to 5500 RPM's. I picked my Comp Cams 262 cam to run lots of torque down low, where I like to drive and pull strong to the mid range and peeter out at the top end. The cam appears to work well with the intake and configuration I have built it to and driving use I have built the car for.
So, that's where the continuing saga left off. Also, I am not sure if I like the distributor being ported to the intake for a constant source of vacuum to the vac advance, or if it should be ported to a ported vac source above the carb throttle blades, which may effect the vac advance and timing. Which are other things I have to sort out this summer during the fine tuning stage.
Right now, I am building an 86 T-top Trans AM as a winter car and summer street strip car. I undertook this project because the used parts are so much cheaper than Vette parts & because I wanted to continue practicing my mechanical skills I have felt I have a handle on, and want to feel confident that I have a mastery of them before I explore other Vette related challenges. When spring breaks, I hope to have the T/A on the road and time to sort out the Vette, before I have to tear her all down and do lots of research trying to do fiberglass body work, the right way. Doing body work on a steel car is easy, because you can't oversand the substraight too easily and distort it,like you can a Vette.
That's the update report at this point.
Thanks for the inquiry Ganey!
Be cool!
"TEACH"
Old 02-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update (73 Teach's Pet)

TEACH..

I had the same linkage problem with the first TriPower setup I built... in high school in 1967.
Ford Y Block 292, Offenhauser intake, 3 two-barrels.

I drove around with skrewed up linkage for all of 67 & 68, but when I took calc in my senior year...

I ended up using calculus... differential equations to solve the problem. In fact, my 17 yr old daughter and I had the exact same conversation last night. I challenged her to come up with the equation.

The length of the "slot" where the links connect to the center lever is proportional to the number of degrees of center carb throttle rotation before engaging the outboard carbs. The slot length, the lever lengths of the end carbs, and the lever length of the center carb are the variables.

"Go figure"... :)

Old 02-13-2002, 01:48 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update (Tom454)

Thank god I am a Mechanical Engineering Tech., and need to know nothing about Differential equations :jester

I don't think I have actually used them in a real life situation.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update (73 Teach's Pet)

Sounds good.

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update

Quick Reply: FYI: Small Block 3 x 2 update