C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 12:25 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?!

I am pissed! The weather has been cold here in VA and I have not had the time to install my Dynamax Ceramacoat Headers. I find a local muffler shop who agrees they will install the headers, and install true duel exhaust to my Flowmasters. They will reuse the same mufflers, I provided the headers, I simply wanted them to install the headers, and run 2.5" pipes to my mufflers. They said, no problem and estimated the cost at $175.00. I figured that seemed fairly reasonable but after they delayed for 6 days getting parts, they call me today and give me an estimate of $608.00!!!! :mad :mad :mad I asked them why the inflated price and they tell me that to get to the bolts to remove the exhaust manifolds, they will have to remove the starter, etc. (I have already removed the A/C Compressor) I am too pissed at this point to reason with them and explain that isn't necessary. I told them I will just come pick up my Vette, remove the manifolds, and then maybe I'll ask them to install the pipes for me. (If only I could weld.....) I am a very passive person and this has pissed me off!

So, how difficult will it be for me to remove the manifolds? It shouldn't be that big of a task, should it?

Thanks for listening to me rant... I appreciate your advice.

Stephen
Old 02-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (VolVette)

608 is kinda high in my opinion...Why not do the headers yourself..I did it is not that bad....then let them do the pipes from the headers back......
Old 02-13-2002, 12:31 PM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Easy drop the starter then pull the pipes then pull the manifolds and put on the headers. The headers are the easyest i have found yet you can hook up the wires on your starter from the top. You will love them when you get them on. I'm in Delaware and it's cold also just dress warm. :smash:
Old 02-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

I haven't installed Headers yet but sounds to me like somebody want to screw the everlivin crap out of you. I wouldn't let em touch my ride with a q-tip. There has to be somewhere else you can get it welded. Sorry I can't help with your Question but damn thats high. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Good Luck
Old 02-13-2002, 12:33 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a pretty easy process, i JUST did this same thing not 2 days ago :)
If those manifolds have been on there for about 20 years, i would suggest
soaking them in some WD-40 for a couple days first. Mine came off pretty easily. You need to take off the starter (not very hard), and the exhaust will have to be dropped out to get it out of the way, then take the plug wires off, and remove the under-manifold wire looms, this is kind of a pain, the smaller bolts aren't all that easy to get too. Once you do that, make SURE to put the bolt back into the motor-mount ;) You need to remove the AC and bracket, as well as your alternator (both pretty easy) Now just unbolt those manifolds and pull them off, you may have to remove the spark plugs first to make it a bit easier.

Install:

The headers go in fairly simply, i only had to make slight modifications, i recommend a good gasket, i used a Felpro. The only mod i had to do was a little grinding on the steering box flange, and on the rag joint. For some reason it rubbed on the ceramic (good way to burn something up). I would suggest you have the headers "surfaced" to make sure the flanges are flat, it only cost me $10 at the local muffler shop. THe dynomax don't come packed all that well, and are known to be a bit out-of-shape.
So far i'm extremely happy with the setup :)

Oh, you may need new plug wires and looms, a good set of moroso and looms will be ~$80

Hope i answered your questions! :D
Old 02-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (Alwyn678)

608 is kinda high in my opinion...Why not do the headers yourself..I did it is not that bad....then let them do the pipes from the headers back......
And the really cool part is when you drive to the muffler shop with open headers. Just have to watch out for cops. Although I think, in Colorado at least, if you put an "In Transit" sign on the back that you can take it to the muffler shop.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:06 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Stephen
You have to remember that the shop is probably charging you an hourly rate. I just installed mine last weekend and it took just about the entire day. First you have to remove the existing exhaust manifold and pipes up to the crossmember which in my case involved removing the AC compressor and alternator. You then have to drop the starter. If you have a stick shift you have to remove the Z bar and the cable that goes to the steering lock. You then have to install the headers from the bottom and try not to scratch them in the process. Once you got them up there you have to bolt them on. I know this sounds very simple but I had a hell of a time getting the bolts started with one hand while trying to hold the header with the other. Once you've done that you have to reinstall everything you took off. Now none of this is rocket science but it is time consuming and if you're being charged an hourly rate of around $50 it doesn't take long. You're best bet is to install the headers yourself and then have them connected to your existing exhaust. I just got a price locally of $150 to connect both sides and run a crossover pipe between the two in 2 1/2 inch aluminized steel. This includes labor. Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Zane
Racer

Ok why do you have to remove the starter? Does it need to be removed to navigate the new headers into place? I'm just about ready to buy my headers soon and I have allready removed my stock intake manifolds.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (Zane)

Do it yourself......I did! I don't think $608 is a completly outragous price though with the work involved, but doing it yourself is free!!!!! That's a savings of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: $608 dollars :D I know we all want to save $608 dollars :yesnod:

[Modified by Warp70, 8:27 PM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 09:34 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (Warp70)

Stephen

For a moment there it sounded like you were having difficulty installing. Mainly it is removing the ex. & spark plugs.

No problem driving to a shop w/ open headers. Several :cool: of us have done it. Just don't get on it around the cops, you can go to neutral & idle by.

:cool:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (Ganey)

No problem driving to a shop w/ open headers. Several :cool: of us have done it. Just don't get on it around the cops, you can go to neutral & idle by.

From a previous post you made you're speaking from experience, correct? :lol: (The post about the cop asking if you had mufflers.)

Matt
Old 02-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (Golden80)

From a previous post you made you're speaking from experience, correct? :lol: (The post about the cop asking if you had mufflers.)

Matt
Matt

Yes. Have never been stopped w/ open headers. :cool:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:59 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Thanks for your advice.

I picked my Vette up a few hours ago and drove home with open exhaust. I forgot to mention that I removed the catalytic converter and my exhaust was sounding awesome! I hope I can get some of the work done this weekend. I fear that the bolts will be a problem to remove.

By the way, I did drive by a cop when I was on my way home... Luckily I was not accelerating and had no problem making it home. :D

Stephen
Old 02-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (vettfixr)

Once you got them up there you have to bolt them on. I know this sounds very simple but I had a hell of a time getting the bolts started with one hand while trying to hold the header with the other.
Here's a little tip. Try using a floor jack to hold them up. Of course, it would help if you can get a buddy to stop by for the afternoon.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:07 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (sharklover)

Hey VolVette -- what ever happened with that corvette in the Barn you were looking at? Always wondered how that story ended :)
Old 02-14-2002, 08:15 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (sharklover)

Never thought of that. Hey, live and learn.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:22 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (vettfixr)

I don't really see why you would have to pull the starter to take off the exhaust. I did it without pulling the starter, I can't see why you would need to.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:47 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?! (MikeC)

Dynomax recommends that you do it that way. I think the issue isn't getting the old exhaust out it's feeding the headers up from the bottom. It's a pretty tight fit with the headers vs. the original exhaust. Anyway, I followed their directions and it seemed the right way to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?!

Quick Reply: ANGRY!!! Difficulty of Installing Dynomax Headers?!