C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall speed prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 09:57 AM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stall speed prob

I have a 2000 stall in my car. After i changed motors and transmissions ( i pulled them and put them back as one ) Now my car does not like to sit still she pulls at 600 RPM in drive. I have curb idle set at 900-800 when i put her in gear she wants to shut off. Any guess what to check or do? :smash:
Old 02-13-2002, 10:01 AM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: stall speed prob (emsrescu)

Mmmm thats weird. With a higher stall u should get less drag on the engine at idle. What sort of TQ converter are u using? Converters also rely on engine rpm to pump fluid thru it which may change the flash rpm on diff engine combos. Still i think something must be gone inside the converter. They are pretty complex inside.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:09 AM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: stall speed prob (xrated)

It's a B&M Torkmaster 2000 I had no problems with her before the switch and now she is acting up. I only has maybe 100 hours on it.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:49 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a little confusing. Is this a new engine with a different cam perhaps? The problem you describe generally happens when a cam with lots of duration and tight lobe centers is installed. The engine doesn't develop sufficient idle torque to overcome the drag of the converter and tries to pull through traffic lights if you find an idle speed where it doesn't kill the engine or, it kills the engine when you put it in drive.

If this is the same engine with no other changes, you may have an ignition timing problem. Check you initial advance.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:43 AM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: stall speed prob (gerry72)

same motor that had no problems before. I set the timing at 10 should i go to 12?
Old 02-13-2002, 03:50 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

That depends. What is your idle vacuum? Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture? Does this engine have an aftermarket cam? Any other alterations?

Get notified of new replies

To stall speed prob

Quick Reply: stall speed prob