C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 09:20 AM
19Shark69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Swaps

Oh Great Ones,

My 69 is having 4 speed transmission problems. It may be linkage problems as it is grinding even it is pulling, if that makes sense. The transmission has 100K plus miles on it. I was thinking about moving to a 5 or 6 speed. Have any of you done this swap? Do you have any thoughts about trying to do this? Problems that I may run into....

thanks

Steve
Old 02-13-2002, 05:06 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Swaps (19Shark69)

Steve, There are many of us running 5 and 6 speeds. The amount of difficulty depends on the tranny you chose. Are you looking for an overdrive tranny or something like the Richmond 5 speed with the 1:1 fifth gear? The easiest swap is probably the Richmond 5 speed. This one only requires a modification of the tranny mount bracket that bolts to the crossmember and also requires a Th400 yoke. The ROD 6 speed requires modification of the crossmember. There is also the Tremec 5 speed OD tranny, but I'm not sure of the ease of this swap. There have been many discussions of these swaps over the past several weeks. Do a search and you will find all of the info that you need.

Tom

Quick Reply: Transmission Swaps