C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:47 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top?

There's a 1/8th inch gap in between the top of the window and the stripping on the T-top. The weatherstrippings in decent shape and it's something with the window or door. I pulled the door apart and messed around with all of the adjustments in there and still have the gap. Looks like the door might be out of adjustment. I guess my main question is do I need to replace the bushings in the door hinge. Or is there an easy adjustment to fix this?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-12-2002, 11:50 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top? (Golden80)

I have a similar problem on the passenger side. If you open the door, the power window will go all the way to the top. When the door is closed, because of the new weather stripping I think, the window closes all the way except about a 1/4". It's a pain but I haven't dealt with it yet.

In my case I think it's the weather stripping. Does yours work with the door open?

Old 02-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top? (78Vette-SA)

If I open the door and raise it all the way and then close it, it still sit's 1/8th of an inch down.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:56 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top? (Golden80)

Sounds to me like your door may be sagging. Look at the latch post on the door jam. If it shows heavy wear on the top, you will probably have to R&R your door hinges. New pins, bushings and s-springs.

Good luck.

Drive On,
TJ

[Modified by TJRed76, 3:57 AM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My car needs the doors adjusted pretty badly. Not horrible, but not great either. I don't have a gap, but when I open the doors they sag a decent amount. Never got around to fixing 'em, because it doesn't bother me enough to validate doing it. How much work is involved in a job like this, anyways?
-Steve
Old 02-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Plastic Wheels
Instructor

I have never done it or even looked, but aren't there adjustments to the path of the window inside the door on the window mechanisms?

Plastic Wheels
Old 02-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This diagram may help. I have loaded it full-size so be patient.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/paul79//window_001.jpg
Old 02-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top? (paul79)

sounds like you need to adjust the window........
Old 02-13-2002, 12:49 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

My 72 Service Manual and my neighbor's 73 Service Manual has a window adjustment procedure that is fairly simple to follow. On the other hand, taking the door panel off and adjusting it by sight is a fairly straight forward procedure. If I remember correctly, there are four 7/16" bolts holding the window mechanism in place. Make a mark around each bolt so you know where you started from, and then loosen the ones necessary to allow you to raise the section up.

If you don't have the GM Service Manual for your car, it is available from http://www.ncrs.org and click on the store logo. Great place to buy your manuals. I do use the Chiltons but the GM one is far superior for the specifics like this.

Gary
Old 02-13-2002, 08:15 PM
1980 razz
Racer

had the same problem and now that i changed weather stripping this weekend i have it again :yesnod: u need to adjust the window..take off the door panel and there are 8 possible bolts for different adjustments,up down lean forward lean back,ect.,,in my repair manual it explains which bolts direct windowin which direction..do u have a repair manual? if not i will give u directions,let me know..lol
Old 02-13-2002, 08:26 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

This article may help. Should be similar anyway. http://www.71corvette.com/wt.html

Get notified of new replies

To How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top?

Quick Reply: How can I get rid of the gap between my driver-side window and the T-top?