C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:39 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade

Hi Guys, I'm the new kid on the block. I've had a Vette for the last 24 years of one year or another. I currently have an '80, 54,000 mi White red leather L-48. I'm going to upgrade a few things and need some help.

It seeems that I read somewhere that the cooling capacity of the A/C could be enhanced by using a more powerful motor from ? Was it a C-4 ?

Any help would be appreciated. Jim
Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (PROSOUTH)

That's what they say, but I'm telling you what, if you take that heater box apart and give it and the ducts a rebuild it will blow and cool better than you ever need it to. The biggest problem with them is that they get filled with 20+ years of debris and that clogs up the evaporator and heater core and doesn't allow air to move through. I rebuilt mine and on high it blows so hard it gets rather annoying. Hardly ever use it on high anymore. That's what I think.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:30 AM
Tomcat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (Dalannex)

I might have to try that on my '75, Dalannex. I'm rather annoyed that I cannot get better airflow out of my heater.

BTW, where is 'Stockholm' SD at? I couldn't find it in the atlas directory I have.
TC
Old 02-13-2002, 12:33 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've got a C-4 fan in my car, it isn't really hard to install. You just have to cut a spacer to makeup for the longer length squirrel cage. Was it worth the effort, no. It produced only a very marginal improvement over the old C-3 blower. Take Dellanex's advice. Pull your dash and disassemble all the duct work, (might as well change the heater core while your in there, if it isn't leaking yet, it will.) Clean out your heater box and vacuum out the evaporator case, buy a reseal kit from one of the 'vette parts houses. Then reassemble every thing with new seals, then wrap the joins with Aluminum tape. Not duct tape it will fall off, but real Aluminum tape, available at most home improvement stores.
Check your blower relays and any circuitry in the system. If you want to replace the fan, go with the latest model A/C Delco fan from your a Chevy dealer. It will cost you a few bucks more than the parts store variety, but it is a better unit. The newest model fan motor is supposed to be slightly more powerful and the squirrel cage blower blades are a better design.
If you do all that, the air should blow as good as it does in a new car.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:39 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

On my '72 one of the first things I had to do was fix the lo voltage condition at the blower motor...first up was the thin corroded ground wire, a new dedicated ground to the intake manifold bolt...10 ga wire, soldered to the motor grounding tab....that fixed about 1 missing volt....
about 2 missing volts were traced to bad/corroded wires at the high speed relay, moving the relay to top of a/c housing was done to get away from exhaust heat, once again soldering wires directly to tabs on relay....
and of course renewing plug end on motor +12 connection....
I picked up about 3 volts at the heater motor by doing those fixed, and so along with the cleaning out allready mentioned, and removing some strange looking alumiunum casting from the air path way....inside, hard to get to....
I about doubled the airflow....maybe more....

GENE
Old 02-13-2002, 01:30 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Others have had good results by installing bubble insul on the inside of the motor side of the evap case - especially if you have headers.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:36 AM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me how you get the blower motor out ( I have a 79 w/ air). I looked at it, and it looks like you have to take half the car apart to get at it. Any tips???

Thanks,
John
Old 02-13-2002, 08:18 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (bluevette)

blue vette on my 78 i had to take all the screws holding the anti freeze over flow tank out. I also loosened and removed some of the bolts holding the A/C compressor on. I did not take the A/C line off. It's a tight squeeze and I had to remove the fan bade to get everything out. I had to put the fan back on the new motor after getting passed the over flow tank. I'm sure i'm forgetting some things, but I hope this helps. :conehead
Old 02-13-2002, 09:59 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (A78Corvette)

I seem to remember doing that on a 78 and we loosened the nuts from the top and removed the motor from the bottom.
JoeB
Old 02-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (Tomcat)

I might have to try that on my '75, Dalannex. I'm rather annoyed that I cannot get better airflow out of my heater.

BTW, where is 'Stockholm' SD at? I couldn't find it in the atlas directory I have.
TC
We're in the northeast corner of the state. The town of Stockholm isn't very big, maybe 150 people, but that could be a stretch. :)We're right in the middle of Watertown and Milbank. They should be on your map. :yesnod: It's gonna be a heck of a drive from here to Sioux Falls, then to Spearfish for the big Corvette rally this summer, but it'll be well worth it. :cool:

-Justin

Tomcat, I just looked at your post, you're from Sioux Falls. :cool: :cheers: (I think you already know that though) Here I thought I was going to be the only C3 from SD for the rest of my life. :D Welcome aboard, and hope to see you at the hot summer nights. What color is your 75'?

[Modified by Dalannex, 8:22 AM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Tomcat
Intermediate

Okay, Dalannex, I found it! I may have driven through it once years ago, while I was looking for a town called 'Troy' (that's my name).
I'm originally from Menno, which is not much bigger than Stockholm.

My '75 is white, and I'll have to try to finger out how to post a pic.

"Air Conditioning Stategies for the 63-82 Corvette", by Michael J. Davis is a helpful book, I beleive, on this subject.

TC
Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Troy, huh? That's quite the town isn't it? It is just to the southwest of here. I drive through it all the time. I think it has a population of 8 now. Not much left. I grew up only 4 miles from Troy. :) You're from Menno. My roommate when I was going to LATI was from Menno. I don't want to give too much info on a public forum, but he would be about 26 now and his first name is Greg. He used to work at Cenex when he was in high school. It was one of those deals where we both needed a place (to party mostly) so we went in on an apartment together. :lol:

[Modified by Dalannex, 7:43 PM 2/13/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 12:00 AM
daves80
Racer

you dont have to take the whole thing apart - pull the fan resistors - drop the fan out of its hole - on the 80 you can get to the bottom screws through the gill - pull the sceen in the fender well and shove a shop vac though the fan hole - back blow ( i used a wand made from a blow gun and a brake line) the condenser through the resistor hole and the heater core too - you could use some electic motor cleaner if its really grungy but mine blows big time - i also got a metal fan repacement from napa - i think maybe its more efficient - dave
Old 02-14-2002, 01:59 AM
Tomcat
Intermediate

Hmmm. I'm not to sure about the identity of Greg. I'll be 42 in April, so he's almost a different generation. :)

That book I described has depictions of useing the C-4 fan motor and blade in a C-3

TC

apacheblack@msn.com
Old 02-15-2002, 10:28 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

OK, sounds like some good advice given and received. Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the book on A/C for 68 - 82 vettes mentioned? JIM
Old 02-15-2002, 11:35 PM
jbs75
Instructor

Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (daves80)

Supposedly if you get the latest replacement motor and squirrel cage from GM parts; it works a lot better.

Jim
Old 02-15-2002, 11:37 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Pro South Look in Mid America there is a book called air conditioning strategies. part no. 600-139. The cost is $19.99. Hope this helps. :conehead
Old 02-16-2002, 12:04 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the book on A/C for 68 - 82 vettes mentioned? JIM
Eckler's has the book. AC Strategies for the 63-82 Corvette. It's a good book.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:11 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade (74-Roadster)

I bought a new GM (Delco) repacement blower motor when my original quit. I noticed some air flow improvment over the old one but I really didn't have an airflow problem to begin with. I do not think C-3's will ever achieve the same volume of airflow that new cars have. :nonod:

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Blower Motor Upgrade