C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Holley question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 PM
SprintCarDriver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Holley question

I have put the car together after the head problem. Now the carb has never worked the way I thought since it was new (3 months ago.) Leaks(dribbles in the font). I pulled the needle & seat, blew it out and replaced it. Decieded to set the level a little lower in the bowl. Still can see it but below the sight hole. Went out and tested it, and started flooding on the way back. Popped the air clearner and now the rear is dribbling. Could the needle and seats go bad this fast? I have read the holley doc and adjusted the carb accordingly, but it is still giving me headaches... Help? What should I do next?
Old 02-13-2002, 12:23 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Another Holley question (SprintCarDriver)

Make sure your floats aren't stuck. To do this and know for sure, with the bowls on, stick a probe or pick in through the sight hole and manually move the float up and down all the way. Dont poke a hole in the thing! I went through some headaches with my Holley 3310 when I rebuilt it because I replaced my rear plastic float with a brass one. Turned out the brass one was designed for the front bowl only and was sticking part way up when installed in the rear. I know it's a new carb, so maybe this isn't your problem, but it's worth checking.

[Modified by ORVette, 8:24 PM 2/12/2002]
Old 02-13-2002, 08:04 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If the needle and seat are not worn,I would check for dirt. The smallest amount of dirt particles will allow fuel to get by the seat.
Ed
Old 02-13-2002, 08:13 AM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: Another Holley question (ED DINAPOLI)

I second this. When we first got my Holley DP both the front and back needles stuck a couple times. We would have to pull it and reseat it. Then it would be fine for a while and then stick again. Turns out there was some metal shavings in the carb. We pulled the whole thing, cleaned it out, put it back on and have not had any problems since.

Good luck. :cheers:

Tim M.

P.S. There was lost of help from my mechanic. I just held the stupid end... :cool:
Old 02-13-2002, 09:31 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Have you by chance changed fuel pumps? Do you know the fuel pressure?
Some after maket pumps produce enough pressure to overcome the needle valves............
Old 02-13-2002, 12:26 PM
SprintCarDriver
Racer

Default Re: Another Holley question (yellow 72)

No, I have not replaced the fuel pump and I am running right at 5lbs at the carb. Guess I will tear down the carb. According to what I have read I need to replace the power valve anyway as I am running 15lb of vacumn which relates to a 7.5 power valve? Right?

Old 02-13-2002, 01:07 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Another Holley question (ED DINAPOLI)

If the needle and seat are not worn,I would check for dirt. The smallest amount of dirt particles will allow fuel to get by the seat.
Ed
This is a big problem with Holleys mine did this all the time had to blow the needle and seat out every other week, bought a new Holley now I don't have the problem :D
Old 02-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Another Holley question (MotorHead)

All good suggestions... here's another possibility...

If you accidentally over tighten the needle so that the tang on the float bends, this can put the relationship between the float and the needle adjustment out of whack so far that the needle no longer seats. In other words, the float tang gets bent so far down that no matter how far the float raises in the bowl, the needle does not reach the seat. Ask me how I know.

To fix it, just re-bend the float tang so that with the needle adjustment in the middle of it range, and the needle gently on its seat (held upside down) the top of the float is parallel to the top of the bowl. This will put the whole system back within its operating range. Not saying this is the problem, but it could be.

Tom
Old 02-13-2002, 02:16 PM
SprintCarDriver
Racer

Default Re: Another Holley question (Tom454)

Ok, Ill bite... How do you know? :jester

Still looks like the carb comes off tonight and gets stripped down....

Thanks All. I will let you all know what I find...

Get notified of new replies

To Another Holley question

Quick Reply: Another Holley question