C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new weatherstrip leak solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:30 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new weatherstrip leak solution

replaced the t-top strip the other day and had nothing but trouble..the new strip left big gaps between the t-top and front and center bar..the solution i came up with after trying to adjust all the adjustments without luck was to cut strips of the old weatherstripping and place them under the new strip in the gapped areas to raise the new strip higher for a more secure seal..voila..no more leaks...and the extra added isnt noticable unless ur looking for it...old rubber tube of any kind could be used and this is a permenent solution that worked for me,hope it helps others that mentioned there tops still leak..just be very carefull when lifting off the strip being sure not to ripit or water will enter and it will wear out much faster...
Old 02-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Default Re: new weatherstrip leak solution (1980 razz)

Where did you purchase your weatherstripping? Did the weatherstripping have the same number of plastic pins as the oringinal?
Old 02-13-2002, 01:15 AM
1980 razz
Racer

Default Re: new weatherstrip leak solution (Tom Johnson)

i got it from a forum member and it had all the pins ect, just not a tight fit..
Old 02-13-2002, 12:53 PM
av8vito
Instructor

Default Re: new weatherstrip leak solution (1980 razz)

Razz,

Great solution. I have the EXACT same problem, in the EXACT same area. I'll grab some old weatherstripping and fix it tonight! I bought my weatherstripping from MidAmerica. Correct number of pins; fit was great; but had the gaps where the center support meets the windshield. Strange.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:56 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Default Re: new weatherstrip leak solution (av8vito)

just make sure u dont tear the weatherstrip when removing it..i used a putty knife and a screwdriver..worked it from the top..pushed the pins thru with the dull end of screw driver and carefully seperated..lol

Get notified of new replies

To new weatherstrip leak solution

Quick Reply: new weatherstrip leak solution